Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grandmothers-flower-garden-quilt-t143978.html)

Wonnie 08-09-2011 06:40 PM

Question.....What is your favorite Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt choice....all yellow centers?....different colored centers? ...the first row of petals, all solid colors?.....the second row of petals, prints but all the same fabric?....or, each petal in the second row a different color? .....Answer.........????

dakotamaid 08-09-2011 06:53 PM

Mine are whatever seems to go together and I only have one row on mine since they are larger. I just coordinate the colors in each flower.:)

thepolyparrot 08-09-2011 06:58 PM

My favorite ones have the same yellow center, then a row of a solid, then a row of a print that goes with that solid, then a row of that 30's green, then one single plain white/off-white "path" between the greens. :) I was lucky enough to find a top like that on eBay to quilt and I just love that thing!

Kas 08-09-2011 07:04 PM

I'm just coordinating each flower, too. The constant is the black triangle between each one. My flowers are made with a center and 3 rings of petals.

tellabella 08-09-2011 08:36 PM

I have various yellow fabrics for my centres and one row of fabric...so far...no 2 fabrics repeating...

Wonnie 08-09-2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Mine are whatever seems to go together and I only have one row on mine since they are larger. I just coordinate the colors in each flower.:)

What size are your hexes?

neeng 08-10-2011 04:17 AM

My rule for mine is no two flowers are the same...may repeat fabrics but the combination must be different. The flowers are all scrappy but the pathways are consistent. Just using a single row on the flowers (so far, who knows what will change by the end of it LOL, the design is the fun part!) My hexes are 1 1/4 inch.

humbird 08-10-2011 04:37 AM

Oh my! Everytime I see a beautiful photo of a GFG, I want to rethink mine. I have done 2, and both have yellow centers. 1st row reads "sorta" solid, 2nd row matches (kind of!) with green paths. I did use different layouts. Someone on this board used yellow paths, it was beautiful. You can see it, and many others in the Gallery.

Barb44 08-10-2011 08:21 AM

I am just starting one. I like the centers all the same. Since mine will be scrappy, it will be a little continuity. Not sure about the rows yet, so far just basting hexes. But I think a lighter color for the first round and darker for the second. They will mostly be prints. I am doing small hexes, 1 inch finished I think.

NDQuilts 08-10-2011 08:44 AM

Mine has yellow centers, Two round of coordinating prints, a round of cream, then connected by green. Used Moda's aviary line, 2 jellies and two charms plus yardage. No two flowers are the same and it has the shabby cottage look.