Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Group quilt quilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/group-quilt-quilting-question-t164259.html)

nyquiltmom 10-29-2011 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a group quilt that I need to quilt. The squares aren't uniform, and are too big (9 1/2") to just stitch in the ditch. I hand quilt, and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

I could do something individual within each square, sort of following the pattern of the square, but some of them will be hard to do that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Maren

Group quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279122[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 10-29-2011 04:29 PM

i see that the one square has a heart applique. you could do a heart in each block. since it will be a uniform quilting design, i don't think that would make the other squares look strange

butterflies5518 10-29-2011 06:21 PM

nice looking quilt - good luck

MsEithne 10-29-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by nyquiltmom
I have a group quilt that I need to quilt. The squares aren't uniform, and are too big (9 1/2") to just stitch in the ditch. I hand quilt, and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

I could do something individual within each square, sort of following the pattern of the square, but some of them will be hard to do that.

Why not treat each block as a min-quilt and do whatever suits that particular block?

Some might be echo quilting, to make an applique pop more or to emphasise piecing. Some might have motifs. Some might have filler designs like grids or stippling.

I think if you aim to give each block around the same amount of quilting, it will look uniform overall. But it would also have some of the fun of an "I Spy" quilt, as people looked to see how each block was quilted.

nyquiltmom 10-29-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by MsEithne

Why not treat each block as a min-quilt and do whatever suits that particular block?

Some might be echo quilting, to make an applique pop more or to emphasise piecing. Some might have motifs. Some might have filler designs like grids or stippling.

I think if you aim to give each block around the same amount of quilting, it will look uniform overall. But it would also have some of the fun of an "I Spy" quilt, as people looked to see how each block was quilted.

Thank you so much! If I do that, do I still need to quilt around all the squares in the ditch?

nyquiltmom 10-29-2011 06:47 PM

Thanks very much!

dublb 10-29-2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MsEithne

This sounds like a wonderful idea! What ever you do it will be great!
:)

MsEithne 10-29-2011 07:38 PM

Thank you so much! If I do that, do I still need to quilt around all the squares in the ditch?

I think I would go with some sort of quilting around all the squares, to act as a bit of a frame for each block. Since the quilt has sashing around each block, maybe just do a straight line down the middle of each sash? Or do a zigzag on the sashing only? Or some other easy, narrow pattern?

To my mind, doing something like that would tend to frame each block and also pull it together as a cohesive whole.

grannyrae 10-30-2011 02:20 AM

love this quilt sorry cant help