Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   GRRRR! Fabric changed colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grrrr-fabric-changed-colors-t34562.html)

chris_quilts 01-19-2010 07:26 PM

What about the Amish Black from Keepsake? Does that have issues?

cindyg 01-19-2010 07:32 PM

One thing you might try on any dark fabric is to give it a vinegar bath/soak and then wash and dry it. Vinegar helps to set the color.

chris_quilts 01-19-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by cindyg
One thing you might try on any dark fabric is to give it a vinegar bath/soak and then wash and dry it. Vinegar helps to set the color.

What about the vinegar smell after the bath/soak?

Tiffany 01-19-2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

I LOVE the Amish black from Keepsake!!!!! It is a deeper black then anything else I've ever used and it is colorfast. Best of all, it's only $6 a yard. 8-)

Tippy 01-20-2010 02:26 AM

If it's washed and rinsed thoroughly it shouldn't have an odor. I'd wash it a couple of times to make sure the vinegar is out as that acid could break down the fabric if not all washed out.

chris_quilts 01-20-2010 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany

I LOVE the Amish black from Keepsake!!!!! It is a deeper black then anything else I've ever used and it is colorfast. Best of all, it's only $6 a yard. 8-)

Tiffany;

Thanks, I've been wanting to order some so now I know. Chris

littlehud 01-20-2010 08:00 AM

I use Kona cotton and have never had that problem. You are right, thank goodness you didn't use it before washing.

Jingle 01-20-2010 08:37 AM

I have bought Tons of fabric from Wal Mart and never had any fade or change colors. I always wash and dry fabrics from anywhere before I use it. Vinegar should work and once it is dry you should not smell it, I would maybe rinse it twice but, not wash twice. Same as using bleach on your clothes once it is dry there shouldn't be any smell. I have been with quilting for about 44 yr.s

Scissor Queen 01-20-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy

If it's washed and rinsed thoroughly it shouldn't have an odor. I'd wash it a couple of times to make sure the vinegar is out as that acid could break down the fabric if not all washed out.

Modern dyes are not affected one way or another by vinegar. Vinegar is a mordant for some organic dyes. Modern dyes are not organic, they're chemical.

With grocery store vinegar it's not possible to have a high enoungh concentration of vinegar to do any harm to fabric. Grocery store vinegar is already only a 5% or 3% solution of vinegar.

Adding vinegar to the final rinse in a load of clothes will kill the detergent suds and help rinse the detergent out without adding the fats of fabric softener.

yourstrulyquilts 01-21-2010 07:56 AM

Retayne in a fabulous color setter, made esp. to set dye. Find it at your LQS, or on line. I't very inexpensive and works. :thumbup: