Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guidance needed re Baby Lock Espire Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guidance-needed-re-baby-lock-espire-sewing-machine-t10683.html)

laparshall 08-29-2008 06:08 PM

Let me apologize in advance for this e-mail being so long.

Lately I have been thinking that I sew enough to be able to justify buying a nicer machine. I was reading a magazine and saw an ad with Eleanor Burns and went online to check out the machine she was showing. It was a Baby Lock, Espire. She said that it was the machine she used to make her quilts. I found it online and compared it to others and I think it has everything that I am looking for in a machine. Of course there were no prices. The site said that I should consult a dealer near me.

I put in my zip code and what do you know, the quilt shop where I buy fabric here in town just happens to be a dealer. So I think to myself well that is just a coincidence. Then when I got home from work that evening, there was a big ad in the mail saying that the shop was having a big sale on sewing machines. I just smiled to myself, and thought maybe?

Then last weekend, my mother-in-law brought over a big ad from the quilt shop that she found in the paper and what do you know the machine is on a closeout sale. So I finally get to see the price of the machine $3499, but they are listing it for $1799 (12 months same as cash). I think, now this is more than a coincidence, this is meant to be. I just keep ignoring the ad, it sat on the table all week. It is too much money, I just don't think I can justify that much.

Then this evening, my DH and MIL agreed to go to the quilt shop so I could find some fabric to make a border for my current project. While my MIL and I were looking at fabric, DH went to look at the sewing machines. I had mentioned all of these coincidences to him, so he figured he would check it out. He came back and told me that there was a Baby Lock Espire that was being sold as "used" because Eleanor Burns had just done a show here and it was one that was used in her class, and they had knocked the price down to $1,399. He even found out that they would finance it for 12 months same as cash. My budget would allow me to pay it off within those 12 months, but I would have to be very careful with my spending. The sacrifice would be worth it to me.

It was closing time, so I asked them to hold the machine for me and said that I would be back in tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any thoughts on this machine? On Coincidences? Fate? Can Eleanor Burns be trusted? Mostly, I am wondering if anyone has experience with this machine. I want to rush back to the store in the morning and buy it, but it is a major purchase and my mom who knows everything is out of town. I suppose it wasn’t a coincidence that I had to sleep on it one more night.
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Linda

loves_2_quilt 08-29-2008 06:12 PM

I wish I lived near enough to go and get the machine first thing Saturday. That is the machine I want.

DD

sspingler 08-29-2008 06:12 PM

Grab it and run like the devil!! I would.

twistedstitcher 08-29-2008 06:30 PM

I just checked out the brochure on the Babylock website, it looks like an awesome machine! Definitely go get it!

laparshall 08-29-2008 06:52 PM

Thanks for your input. I was feeling a bit insecure about making that decision, I am not too knowledgeable about "good" sewing machines. I thought it seemed like a good deal. And with the price dropping so much, I think it would be silly not to just jump on it. Once I told my DH about the chat room exchange, he agrees that we should go first thing also. So probably tomorrow I will be asking how to use it. I am so glad it is a three day weekend. Well I don't want to get too excited before I actually buy it and bring it home. I will check back tomorrow once I get back from the store.

Linda

Up North 08-30-2008 04:22 AM

Good Luck! Glad they would hold it for you.

sandpat 08-30-2008 04:35 AM

Grab it quickly!!! I just bought a "gently used" Bernina...just make sure that the shop owner will give you the full warranty and they'll check it over before you leave the store with it. I'm in love with my machine and you will be too. The fact that it is used is just better for you...less expensive and you KNOW it sews! Good luck!

laparshall 08-30-2008 05:10 AM

The shop told me that it would have a full warranty, but I will make it a point to ask that again. I figured if it was used at the Eleanor Burns show, then it has had the bugs worked out of it, so it would be a safe buy. I will ask them to take it out of the box though and show me how to use it. I have never even tried using anything so high tech. I am excited to learn though. DH is going along with me to protect me from any high pressure sales. They open in one hour, he said that it would just be ridiculous to be waiting in the parking lot a 1/2 hour before they open. So I decided I would kill a little time here.

Linda

bearpaw 08-30-2008 05:25 AM

How exciting! Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

twistedstitcher 08-30-2008 05:59 AM

I don't think you'll have any problems operating it...if you can use a computer you should have no trouble with a computerized sewing machine. A lot of shops offer lessons on the machine, you might want to ask if that's an option.

You must be SO excited....I'm excited for you too! You will be amazed at what your new machine can do. Please let us know when you get it home and start using it!