Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guild meeting hospitality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guild-meeting-hospitality-t183885.html)

nls 03-24-2012 12:29 PM

Guild meeting hospitality

Am looking for ideas for a way to share the responsibility of donating "treats" for the social time at guild meetings. Last year it seemed that not many wanted to bring a snack in and was wondering how this is handled in other guilds. Thanks

Lizzytish 03-24-2012 12:32 PM

The guild I belong to has a monthly sign up and everyone signs up for at least one month.

Jan in VA 03-24-2012 12:59 PM

Simple solution: If not many want to bring snacks, discontinue the snacks.

My guild has never served them, and we meet at 10am. In our case, often groups of members go out to lunch together after the meetings. It seems to me that finger foods and fabrics/fibers/quilts don't mix well anyway.

Jan in VA

Monroe 03-24-2012 01:43 PM

My Guild has snacks at the monthly meeting. I understand it used to be done by alphabet assignment, but now its an email a week before asking for volunteers. For the 2 sewing days a month people voluntarily bring something to share for snacks and lunch. We have about 70 members, and it is commonly the same core 20 or so that do much of the organizing, setting up, etc. I think it would be better to have a signup or lottery system, with an email or phone reminder as my garden club does. I usually bring healthier snacks as an alternative to the constant brownies and cakes. Most of our members are 55+ and don't cook much any more so they really go calorie crazy trying to impress the group.

MadQuilter 03-24-2012 01:50 PM

No snacks at our meeting. We do get a ticket when we get there and there is a drawing for some door prizes.

Lucio 03-24-2012 01:57 PM

The guild to which I formerly belonged had you bring the treat the month of your birthday. If you missed that month you were expected to bring it the next month. They had at least 100 members in attendance each month so this was not a problem. I always had a feeling that there was someone keeping tract but it wasn't obvious.

moonwork42029 03-24-2012 02:00 PM

We didn't bring snacks on a regular basis as it was held in the library conference room. Sometimes someone would bring a treat but it was totally up to them.

An Arm Long 03-24-2012 02:32 PM

My guild meets from 10AM to 3PM. We bring our lunches and celebrate birthdays once a month. ( We meet twice a month). We have one member who likes to bring desserts and usually brings a cake for the birthdays. When she can't, another member will pitch in.

bakermom 03-24-2012 02:40 PM

Not a guild member, but if there is some resistance to snack duty, why not take a vote. You may find the majority don't want to bother with them

DogHouseMom 03-24-2012 02:49 PM

how about a hospitality fee? Give folks an option of either bringing a dish to pass, or paying a fee. Have a sign up sheet and those that do bring food can draw from the hospitality fund.