Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Had to postpone my first quilt, but Im now ready! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/had-postpone-my-first-quilt-but-im-now-ready-t14742.html)

newnana 12-25-2008 04:05 PM

Hello all! I had my first post a month or so ago, about starting my very first quilt , ( For my first grandchild due in April, out of my sons baby
clothes) You were ALL so sweet and offered lots of great advice and encouragment. I dont know how to find your replys now, so I have to start over!!! I did cut out my squares then , 40 of them into 5" squares,
I just want a basic quilt for a crib, out of squares from his clothes.
What do I HAVE to have next ? I know I need to iron and sew the pieces
together for the top, Anyone want to walk me through ???
Im a true beginner, and frankly all the frames and tools confuse me ....

pocoellie 12-25-2008 04:21 PM

What I would do is pin your rows together. For a 5" square, I would use only 1 pin, I like to pin at the top and the next one on the opposite side on the bottom. I hope I'm making sense. Then just sew the squares and rows that are pinned at the top or bottom, cut your threads, then sew the opposite sides. Press the rows after sewing, then sew the rows together. Press, then make your sandwich(backing, batting, and top). Tie, or quilt then do your binding. You could even do a pillowcase style, which means you don't have to do a binding. If you have any more questions or if I can help more or better, PM me.

ScubaK 12-25-2008 04:43 PM

DO NOT IRON your squares if you have already cut them out...
Pin two togehter (or not) and sew together using a 1/4 inch seam. It is important to use this seam throughout the contruction of your quilt.
Sew the next block onto the first two and so on till you have it the length you want.
Press your seams toward the darkest fabric. Press down with a hot iron, no steam...
This should get your rows together...
Let us know when you want to get your rows put together and we then can help you there.
PM with any pertinent questions
K

squawcorn256 12-25-2008 06:15 PM

you mentioned you were using clothes... im not an expert by any means... but have just finished a tee shirt quilt... if you have any material that is stretchy like tee shirt you might consider using a fusible interfacing or backing of some type

Renee 12-26-2008 11:18 AM

Newnana, to find your previously posted topic simply click on your name and it will have a link to the topics you've started and the topics you've commented in. Good luck with your first quilt and be ready to be addicted!! Have fun!
Renee

GailG 12-28-2008 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by KO24
Pin two togehter (or not) and sew together using a 1/4 inch seam. It is important to use this seam throughout the contruction of your quilt.
Sew the next block onto the first two and so on till you have it the length you want.
Press your seams toward the darkest fabric. Press down with a hot iron, no steam...
Let us know when you want to get your rows put together and we then can help you there.
K

I'm curious to know why she is advised not to iron the squares. I can think of only one reason that perhaps one would not iron -- the blocks may be distorted. And why "no steam"? If these are fabrics that have been laundered before, why should the steam affect them?

Also, rather than press to the dark, wouldn't it be easier to press the seams in one row all one way and then in the next row all the opposite direction. Please understand that I am rather perspectively "disadvantaged" :roll: and always have difficulty knowing which way to press the seams so they will interlock when piecing the next row.

What courage you have for wanting to undertake this project. You will do well. And what a memory you will have! Keep us posted as to your progress.

newnana 12-28-2008 07:22 AM

Im going to pin my squares together today ( I also work a full time job)
so I can only work on this in my spare time... I will pin them in rows as advised. I am also going to buy a machine later this week. I used to have one but it is old and Im just gonna get a new one. I only was curious if I should look for specific features when knowing that I will be using it for quilt making. Im really not planning on sewing alot , other than my quilt ( that I know of)
I know this is later on , but what is pillowcase style ( I'm assuming sew inside out and turn??) is this recommended for a first timer?
Thanks ladies ! You all are awesome

redrummy 12-28-2008 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by GailG

Originally Posted by KO24
K

I'm curious to know why she is advised not to iron the squares. I can think of only one reason that perhaps one would not iron -- the blocks may be distorted. And why "no steam"? If these are fabrics that have been laundered before, why should the steam affect them?

Also, rather than press to the dark, wouldn't it be easier to press the seams in one row all one way and then in the next row all the opposite direction. Please understand that I am rather perspectively "disadvantaged" :roll: and always have difficulty knowing which way to press the seams so they will interlock when piecing the next row.

What courage you have for wanting to undertake this project. You will do well. And what a memory you will have! Keep us posted as to your progress.

I believe the no iron to be because of distorting. The pressing to the dark is so the seams do not show through the light material. No steam because it will also lead to distortion, with the wet fabric as you iron.
I press to one side for all so to lock the seams when sewing rows together, it is a matter of preference. Remember when "ironing", it is actually pressing, not ironing, just press down seams, do not move around distorting size. I made that mistake once, fought getting squares to line up for rows. The best thing to remember--- once made it will be cherished and loved, so don't be critical of yourself or your skills.my first 3 and definitely not the best, are the family favorites.

jstitch 12-28-2008 04:56 PM

Here is a link to the old thread...

I was just wondering the other day how you were coming along with this project..

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15/11857.page

newnana 12-28-2008 06:41 PM

Does anyone have any pictures of a finished quilt made from squares like mine will be, without a pattern, that I could see? Also , I'm wondering about the border and backing .Someone suggested that I use pillowcase style , what do you think for a real beginner??