Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Half-square triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/half-square-triangles-t2070.html)

NewsletterBot 08-30-2007 02:41 PM

I am having trouble with half-square triangles. When I cut the squares and put one on top of the other they are just fine, but after I sew diagonally and cut them apart and press they are larger than they should be. Can anyone help me please?.

Thank you,Betty

lin 08-30-2007 03:47 PM

Are you placing your squares on top of each other then marking a diagonal center line and sewing ¼" to either side of the line and then cutting on the marked line? If so, it may just be that you're coming in a little too close to the marked line and not the exact ¼". It doesn't take much for a block to be a little too large or small. When I make half-squares, I do sometimes have to square them up to size. I don't think I've ever had one come out just exactly right. It doesn't hurt to trim them up a bit. I hope this helps some.

k_jupiter 08-30-2007 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by NewsletterBot
I am having trouble with half-square triangles. When I cut the squares and put one on top of the other they are just fine, but after I sew diagonally and cut them apart and press they are larger than they should be. Can anyone help me please?.

Thank you,Betty

Better larger than smaller.

tim (one who knows) in san jose

amma 08-30-2007 11:08 PM

Are you pressing without steam, I know when I first started I was "ironing" and using steam and was stretching my blocks out. I was unenlightened regarding the difference between pressing and ironing......

ccbear66 08-31-2007 05:35 AM

I have started cutting my squares a 1/8 inch larger than called for in the pattern and my triangles have been comming out right on the money.

Suz 09-01-2007 07:34 AM

Betty,

Half square triangles are tricky as you have found out. Try using your walking foot. I find that I use my all the time when piecing.

Suzanne

jaehill 10-29-2007 01:31 PM

As a veteran of some of my blocks being too small, I like for them to be a little large. I would rather trim down than have them too small. I saw where someone else posted about the difference between ironing and pressing. This is very true. Keep trying. There are no Quilt Police. :D

stitchesbymindy 10-30-2007 08:16 AM

Have you ever tried using triangle paper? I love it and use it 100% of the time when making half square triangles. They are always perfect. You can buy it in any quilt shop based on the finished size needed. Also, I found a web site where you can print it out at home, it is blockcentral.com. The problem with printing at home is that the paper used in the printer is thicker (even if you buy the thinnest cheapest stuff) than what the purchased triangle papers are. I invested in one package of every size and have not had to repurchase any but the 2" in over 4 years.
Mindy

Diamonds 10-30-2007 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Are you pressing without steam, I know when I first started I was "ironing" and using steam and was stretching my blocks out. I was unenlightened regarding the difference between pressing and ironing......

I had the same problem Amma did the first time I did them... I had to learn just to "press" and release instead of ironing...

QuiltingTexAlltheTime 01-06-2008 07:04 PM

:( :?: :?: :cry: Where O Where Is the Jan Class ??? Did I miss? I can't find it!!!