Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hamd quilting thread questions>...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hamd-quilting-thread-questions%3E-t144791.html)

Patti Mahoney 08-13-2011 03:58 AM

I'm working on my very first piece of applique. I am just about finished basting my grid to start guilting, I have the back, batting and top all sandwiched and smooth. I have two spools of Coats & Clark Glace hand quilting thread. I've been using that to sew my hexagons together. The hexs are my first and only project, my applique is the second. Anyhow, I've never done actual hand quilting before. I'm using Mettler to do the applique pieces to the background fabric to match the applique pieces. Should I buy a similar hand quilting Mettler product to quilt with. Does it make a big difference when using one brand of thread over another. I found the hexagon pattern online, I was clueless when I started my paper piece hexagon top, the instructions said to sew them together, I didn't even know ther was such a thing as hand quilting thread until I went to Joann's. Anyhow, any suggestions?? Thanks so much, Babs

sueisallaboutquilts 08-13-2011 04:04 AM

If you already have hand quilting thread I would use it. You don't need the brands to match.
However, I only use hand quilting thread for hand quilting, not piecing. How did it go??

Patti Mahoney 08-13-2011 04:38 AM

I went to Joann's looking for fabric to add to my hexagon quilt and the saleslady ask me what I was making. I told her an English paper pieced 1-inch hexagon quilt and she told me I should be using hand quilting thread. Since I didn't know any better, I bought a few spools. It's been ok to use, I haven't had problems with it tangling or knotting so I assume it's going ok, lol...I think everybody should have a quilting angel, I'm just waiting to find one...I feel so stupid when I ask questions and responses from some of the ladies who have quilted for many years. The instructions online just said to stitch them together. I actually think the person giving the tutorial used DMC embroidery thread.

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
If you already have hand quilting thread I would use it. You don't need the brands to match.
However, I only use hand quilting thread for hand quilting, not piecing. How did it go??

sueisallaboutquilts 08-13-2011 04:40 AM

You're not stupid!! That's what the board is for!!!!!!
I've been quilting a long time but I STILL learn so much!!
:D:D
I also have to say that while I like Joann's I don't think some of the employees are very knowledgeable about sewing and especially quilting.

Carol J. 08-13-2011 05:01 AM

Hand quilting thread has a finish on it to make it stronger than regular sewing thread. When stitching through several surfaces,it has to be strong. We used to use beeswax with regular thread pulled through it for strength, now one can buy the quilting thread. I made the hexagon quilt top with paper piecing by hand and used regular sewing thread with part polyester in it but using quilting thread will just make the joinings stronger, a good idea.
Everyone has an opinion and listen to them all and sort out the ones that make sense to you and what you have on hand or can purcase.
Use what you have, it is perfect for hand quilting.

Carol J.

deranged_damsel 08-13-2011 05:03 AM

which brand did you buy at Joanns? the "american" or "americana" brand whatever it is called MAY work fine for hand pieceing but I have NOT had good experience with hand quilting with it! if you are looking for a GOOD cheap quilting thread use Coats and Clark hand quilting :D it also comes in many colors :D

GOOD LUCK!!!

Barb44 08-13-2011 05:08 AM

Don't ever be hesitant to ask a question. Sometimes those of us who have been quilting for a while forget to mention the little details to new quilters. You are so lucky to have this board. I am a self taught quilter who started 30 years ago when there was no internet.

Hand quilting thread is usually used only for hand quilting. Because it is glazed it will show more if using it for piecing and it might make your seams heavier. I always quilt with an off white hand quilting thread. Others use colors. I like my stitching to rather disappear so you only see the texture. (Does that make sense? Don't know how to explain it.)

If you have other questions, just ask away.