Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hancocks of Paducah - a must see? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hancocks-paducah-must-see-t50231.html)

Naturalmama 06-18-2010 10:29 AM

We'll be in Southern IL next week and it wouldn't be to huge of a trek (I don't think...) to get to Paducah - how much effort should I make to get to Hancock's? Do they have an awesome clearance section or anything that would make it worth going? (I know, feeling and seeing the fabric is fun, but I need more than that! lol!)

dotcomdtcm 06-18-2010 11:04 AM

Their catalog is my version of the Sears Wish Book!!

stitchinwitch 06-18-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
We'll be in Southern IL next week and it wouldn't be to huge of a trek (I don't think...) to get to Paducah - how much effort should I make to get to Hancock's? Do they have an awesome clearance section or anything that would make it worth going? (I know, feeling and seeing the fabric is fun, but I need more than that! lol!)

When I went frankly I was disappointed - BUT glad I went. It is big, but for some reason I thought it was going to be bigger with LOTS of sales....no, not so much. But DO go. Maybe MY opinion is just that - you may go ape there!. Have fun,

Naturalmama 06-18-2010 11:27 AM

I actually shouldn't buy more fabric for a while.... but you know, I'd LOVE to get my hands on some of that moda nature fabric with the bird eggs on it.....

Rosyhf 06-18-2010 11:34 AM

Maybe when they have the big quilt show in Paducah is when they have a massive sale. I sure got lucky the year I went. My GF and I went in her van so shipping was not involved. Everyone is having a sale then and Hancocks has to keep up. Elinore Burns had a tent sale and we went two days in a row and cleaned up...it was so fun...

Handcocks has a web sale going on all the time. That is when I buy if I need, I don't need lol. Buttttt..I had to have the civil war novelty prints of the generals and money etc..so I bought some panel the other day. I think a civil war quilt is in the works after this huge workload of colorful.....I got those panel for half price as compared to others on the web.

bearisgray 06-18-2010 11:54 AM

If you can get to Paducah - also try to get to the American Quilt Museum - they are not very far apart (I think less than two miles between them) -

Hancock's of Paducah is BIG - I think it is worth the stop - if for no other reason than to say that you have.

quiltsRfun 06-18-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Their catalog is my version of the Sears Wish Book!!

I love that catalog! I just got my first one and might wear it out thumbing through it. Also, there's the damage due to drool. :lol:

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I'd LOVE to get my hands on some of that moda nature fabric with the bird eggs on it.....

Same here. I love that fabric. I'd probably have to go to the store just "Because it's there." Hey, that saying works for mountain climbers, why not for quilters.

BellaBoo 06-18-2010 12:20 PM

Even at the quilt show week, the notions, patterns, and thread are the same price as a local LQS. I didn't notice any great buys on those. If you are looking for about every fabric line there is then Hancock's is fantastic. The prices are about the same as most quilt shops. I don't know if there is a sale table during the year, I only go there during the quilt show. Check out their Facebook page. Lots of info there that is not on the website. Most fabric shops are on Facebook with lots of great deals just for the day. I would call and ask about any sales the day you will be there. QIAD Store there has good prices on fabrics. There is a big fabric store called Murry's in Murry Ky, right next to Paducah. I liked it better then Hancocks. Brenda is the owner and she is a super nice woman. She's always in Paducah the week of the quilt show with a big store in any empty one she can have for the week, full of great deals on fabric.

Here is their website.
http://www.murraysewing.com/

NikkiLu 06-18-2010 12:55 PM

Yes, it is a "must see" - but I bought very little in there. I almost cried when I walked in - 10 ROWS of Batiks! But, I think that they were about $10 a yard - they would not cut less than a yard - but they had bins of "ends" that they had left off the bolts and they were must less than $10 = can't remember how much though - kind of wrinkled ends at that. I did not find any bargains in there - but it was just mind boggeling how much material that they had in there. Don't think that I saw any fat quarters either. They had a back room also with maybe jelly rolls, etc. in there.

HTH

Pam 06-18-2010 03:58 PM

Hancock's is fun, but no real bargains. Their Moda solids are well priced. I spend most of my $$ in there during the week of the quilt show, THEN the precut stuff is marked down.

They are serious though about getting out of their on time! They announce that the store is closing in 5 minutes and 5 minutes later they turn out the lights!! A word to the wise, if you hear that, you better start heading to the registers.

I am in Southern Illinois and would volunteer to have a roundevous, but I am heading North for the weekend.