Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand or machine applique for small designs on wallhanging? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-machine-applique-small-designs-wallhanging-t215023.html)

BirdyFeathers 02-27-2013 10:36 AM

hand or machine applique for small designs on wallhanging?

Hi,
I am doing a wall hanging with applique designs. Some are narrow and there are lots of curves and turns etc. I have them all fused on.
I was wondering, can I hand applique this? and if so how would I do that since I can't turn it under, is there a special stitch I can use? (Sorry, I am kind of new to the applique processes.) Then I thought about using the machine to do it. However, some of the applique are narrow stems and if I machine applique I don't want my stitches to run together on the opposite sides. Even if I put my settings to really low, some areas are so small. What do you do if you are appliqueing narrow or small designs? I cut out the pieces with my Go cutter so there isn't any extra seam allowance for turning them under, that is why they are fused on.
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it! :)

Kathy Osterby 02-27-2013 10:44 AM

I use the machine blanket stitch on my fused appliques. But you can use a fancy machine stitch if you have one on your machine. Just be sure to do a practice set up so you know what size stitches look best. Use a scrap of your fabric that has the fusable sandwiched with background and play with width and length to find the right combination. Most of all have fun with your stitches.

Knitette 02-27-2013 10:48 AM

I'm afraid I only machine appliqué, so can't help with hand-stitching. For stems I usually straight stitch. This avoids the stitches 'meeting'. If you look at my avatar you'll see long stems straight stitched.

JulieR 02-27-2013 11:33 AM

I don't machine applique, only hand, because I personally can't get any kind of accuracy on small pieces with a machine. You can't do needle turn now, but you don't have to: you can add any decorative stitch you like by hand, so long as your fusible isn't super thick and your needle is sharp.

Tartan 02-27-2013 11:34 AM

If your pieces are fused in place you can do a hand blanket stitch around the edges just like if were to do a machine blanket stitch. You will have more trouble getting the needle through the fusible by hand but try a sample.

Traditional Quilter 02-27-2013 06:04 PM

You might try straight stitching by machine around the edges. That's a perfectly acceptable way to applique. Sounds like some pieces are too narrow to do a blanket stitch on both sides. Another suggestion is to sandwich your piece and do close all over stitching and not worry about stitching each piece. Since it's a wallhanging you probably won't be laundering it so your fused pieces should stay put. I have a similar applique wall hanging with long narrow pieces, and the pattern suggested the all over quilting method. I haven't done that because I have never done any machine quilting except straight lines with a walking foot. Perhaps someday I'll learn how to FMQ and be able to finish my hanging.
Jane