Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand- piecing squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-piecing-squares-t22971.html)

sewred 07-19-2009 09:10 AM

I am in need of tips concerning how to get the corners of my squares to match up when hand- piecing squares ? I sew them together but when i get to the corners they are not meeting up right?

Prism99 07-19-2009 09:22 AM

One way is to mark the sewing line on each piece. Another is to simply mark the corners on each piece. To do this you can make or purchase a template.

If you make your own, it's probably best to use template plastic rather than cardboard; cardboard can become inaccurate with use.

Marking is usually best done with a mechanical pencil (.05) that has a soft lead.

Also, how are you piecing? When hand piecing, you do not want to make long strips the way you would with machine piecing. When hand piecing you can work from the middle out. For example, sew 2 squares together, then sew on a 3rd square, then a 4th square, then a 5th square, etc. If you simply add on one piece at a time it is much easier to get corners to match because you are always starting in a corner.

Also, when hand piecing, do not sew all the way to the edge of the fabric. Stop at the corner and backstitch. That way all corners are free to be pressed in any direction.

bearisgray 07-19-2009 09:47 AM

prism99 stated it well.

for a beginner, I suggest marking both pieces.

I started making two templates for pieces I often use - the outside one to mark the cutting line - and one for the inside so I can mark the stitching line.

Make sure your templates/pieces are fitting together. Once in a while one gets a pattern that is off.

I also have a touch of OCD

Prism99 07-19-2009 10:04 AM

I should clarify how you add a square when hand-piecing. Starting with the 4th square, you begin at the corner where all the squares join and sew to the corner of an edge. Secure your thread with a backstitch at both the beginning and the end -- at the corner, not all the way out to the edge. For the 4th square, you then come back and sew the other side from the existing corner out to an edge.

Clear or not? Basically you are always starting at a completed corner and sewing out to an edge. At the corner I start with a backstitch but then usually catch all nearby corners in a little stitch. This is so I don't end up with a little hole at every corner!

bearisgray 07-19-2009 10:11 AM

maybe there is something on youtube?

it's one of those things that seeing makes it more understandable

and then the written words are AHA!!!!

Prism99 07-20-2009 09:26 AM

Yes, seeing it done beats words only! I think I learned how to do this by watching a DVD from the library.

sewred 07-20-2009 12:07 PM

Thank you all for your help! 80}

Skeat 07-20-2009 02:17 PM

What is the update on your pieces??When I hand piece...I look straight down on the corners and sew an actual 'x' thru them on the corners.

If you not exact on your seam allowance...it will mess w/you like this:)I had a great and helpful hint to marking your lines exact.....!!

Use and index card...the lines on it are the exact seam allowance! It works...Keep us posted..Skeat