Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand project ideas for road trip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-project-ideas-road-trip-t53421.html)

bertadel 07-08-2010 07:47 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm going on a 17 day road trip in two weeks. We are driving from So. California to the top of Idaho. We will be camping out of our trailer. I would like to have a hand project for the driving portion. I don't have time to make a top to hand quilt or plan out anything. I'm pretty busy until we leave for our vacation. I was thinking applique would be nice, maybe some hand towels, purse panel or dog bed (I have a cute poodle). Do you have any ideas? I'm not into wall hangings. I would like to just buy a kit and go with it. Where can I buy a kit that will keep me occupied while DB is driving? I am going to the Long Beach Quilt Show, I might get something there but I want to have a back up incase I don't find anything in Long Beach. I live in Redondo Beach CA, but I can buy online if shipping is fast. Shoot I'm running out of time. Thanks for your suggestions.

dkabasketlady 07-08-2010 07:51 AM

The first thing that comes to my mind is making yo-yo's!! What about a Cathedral Windows quilt done by hand?

Kaye-Kaye 07-08-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
The first thing that comes to my mind is making yo-yo's!! What about a Cathedral Windows quilt done by hand?

I was going to suggest Yo-Yo's also. There are several gadgets you can buy to make them in different shapes. I make them alot when I am working a craft fair. I use them to embellish other things, but if it is along trip and you made a bunch of them, you could sew them into a yo-yo quilt or throw pillow when you returned home.

PALS65 07-08-2010 08:05 AM

Grandmas Garden.

Boopers 07-08-2010 08:10 AM

I have two take-along projects. One is English paper-piecing and the other is yo-yo's. They are both easy to set up and easy to do.

sewcrafty 07-08-2010 09:03 AM

Connecting Threads has labeled it Applique month and if you go to their site they have applique kits for purchase.

Hope this helps out. Have a nice vaca!!!

Bluphrog 07-08-2010 09:15 AM

I have a Baltimore Album BOM that I take everywhere with me. And I just started making fabric bowls using the Grandmother's Flower Garden technique. Instead of hexagons, I got some pentagons. They are really cute!

Sadiemae 07-08-2010 09:57 AM

I would like to welcome you to Idaho. Hope you have a great vacation.

sharon b 07-08-2010 10:30 AM

English Paper piecing is great as a take along :thumbup:

quiltilicious 07-08-2010 10:46 AM

I concur with the English Paper Piecing. There was a really cute video tutorial about them in that McCall's DVD that got sent out all over the place (unsolicited), and she described how to pack up a small plastic organizer with the various bits you need to fit in your purse or tote.

This is why my friend hand-pieces quilts - so she can do them on the road and at the beach.