Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilter question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilter-question-t142838.html)

niizh 08-05-2011 08:38 AM

Has anyone used the "quilting spoon" or the "quarter method" I love to hand quilt, but finger gets too sore after a while. I use the liquid bandaid, but after a while that doesnt help. Read about the above on J. Beyer website. Going to try quarter method today if I can determine how to tape to finger.

quilt addict 08-05-2011 08:40 AM

My lower side finger gets really sore too. Sometime I just put a narrow piece of athletic tape over the spot. That is the white tape you see them use for first aide or wrapping ankles. Seems to help the spot and I can still feel the needle.

I am looking forward to see what others say about those methods.

Jeanniejo 08-05-2011 08:41 AM

I love Thimble -It from Sailor. I use two together but I use them several times. You hardly know it's there.

debbieumphress 08-05-2011 08:47 AM

I have never used thimbles but a friend here sent me some you stick on the spots that get stuck the most ...like thimble flats. LOL. My hubby laughs when I poke myself.. you hear this eeeeeeeeek.

Beachbound 08-05-2011 08:51 AM

I had Thumb Eze that I used but I can't find them anymore. They were small pieces of stinky back plastic that I could put on my thumb (which I use to stop the needle under the quilt) Bandaids do not work for me.

PamB8s 08-05-2011 08:54 AM

I purchased a pair of gloves the ones that are dipped and become a hard rubber. I cut the finger out and then sewed a small seam on the inside. It is a perfect flexable finger thimble.

ptquilts 08-05-2011 09:25 AM

You build up a callous eventually - the trick is, when your skin gets wet the calloused skin will want to flake off - do NOT flake it off.

Also it helps to alternate between index and middle finger under quilt.

LyndaOH 08-05-2011 09:30 AM

Have you tried using an Aunt Becky's? It's a little tricky to get used to, but once you do you can really fly!

QuiltMania 08-05-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
You build up a callous eventually - the trick is, when your skin gets wet the calloused skin will want to flake off - do NOT flake it off.

Also it helps to alternate between index and middle finger under quilt.

I alternate between index and middle finger too. It also helps to take a little break when your fingers get too sore. Sometimes a little ice on the sore ones helps until they get used to being stuck.

Holice 08-05-2011 09:40 AM

i use a regular inespensive thimble under the quilt.
Best ones are found in antique or thrift shops. The old ones that are rather smooth around the top. You tap the top until it is flat and then use the edge of the thimble to help the needle underneith. It works and doesnlt appear to ware on the needle. This is the way I learned many years ago and still works despite of all the fancy stuff available.