Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilters question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilters-question-t207468.html)

bj31032 12-02-2012 10:37 AM

I lap quilt. I tried a hoop and it just got in my way. I love lap quilting on a cold winter day all snug in the quilt I am working on.

Holice 12-02-2012 10:49 AM

I use the "No Slip Hoop" - 14" made of plastic. Can be purchased at Joann's. I also use this in all my hand quiting classes.

mtngrl 12-02-2012 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by bj31032 (Post 5693712)
I lap quilt. I tried a hoop and it just got in my way. I love lap quilting on a cold winter day all snug in the quilt I am working on.

I used to have one of those PVC ones, I just couldn't get comfortable and ached everywhere. It took me a whole winter to do a double quilt. Now I'm lap quilting, but nothing very big. I have tried a hoop but don't know how to hold it up, it is in my way too.

Stitchnripper 12-02-2012 11:41 AM

I hand quilted a queen size using a hoop. I think it is 14-16" and about an inch high. It took me a long time of starts and stops but I love the finished product.

117becca 12-02-2012 11:46 AM

I have a frame - similar to the PVC floor frame at JoAnn's, but it's made of wood w/ foldable legs. It's perfect! I have used a hoop and balanced on a chair in front me so that I can get my hand underneath it. I am thinking about getting a hoop on a stand that will fold up and be portable for traveling purposes.

barny 12-02-2012 11:51 AM

I use a Q-Snap PVC floor frame too. I keep it out in my den when I have a quilt on it.

mtngrl 12-02-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca (Post 5693835)
I have a frame - similar to the PVC floor frame at JoAnn's, but it's made of wood w/ foldable legs. It's perfect! I have used a hoop and balanced on a chair in front me so that I can get my hand underneath it. I am thinking about getting a hoop on a stand that will fold up and be portable for traveling purposes.

Hmm, that gives me an idea, I have one of those wooden stands for cross stitch stretchers, maybe I could balance a large hoop on it for big quilts. Has anyone tried the hoop with the part you sit on??

happyquiltmom 12-02-2012 12:40 PM

I use a wooden 14" hoop whilst I sit in my recliner, all sizes of quilts. Nice and comfy in the winter, not so much in the summer. But I'm usually too busy with the garden and outside stuff in the summer to quilt much anyway.

virtualbernie 12-02-2012 01:55 PM

My stitches come out better when I use a hoop but sometimes I get tired of using it and lap quilt, so I usually do both in one quilt.

mermaid 12-02-2012 03:41 PM

I use a round 18" hoop that I got from Walmart--must be 30 yrs ago. I love it! I have done K sz quilts--just start in the center and travel around to keep it all smooth (I've always basted the layers). I can sit in recliner or rocker with arms and prop one side of the hoop on the arm rest. Easy as pie for me. I have a lge oval that fits onto a stand, but I've never liked it.