Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting and Batkis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-batkis-t86721.html)

Laura3 01-01-2011 08:18 AM

I have just finished a single irish chain in two colors of batiks. I have enough left over to piece together a backing also in batiks. I was going to machine quilt, but now would like a winter hand quilting project. Has anyone ever hand quilted with batiks on both the top and back? I have not sandwiched yet, so I can change the backing to a regular cotton.

If you have quilted with both and you have any suggestions I would appreciate it....

Thanks, Laura

amma 01-01-2011 09:27 AM

You may be in for a struggle (not saying you can't do it) as batiks are more tightly woven.
Maybe make a little practice sandwich to see how you like hand quilting two layers? :D:D:D

Laura3 01-01-2011 09:41 AM

The practice sandwich is a good idea. I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks......

jdavis 01-01-2011 09:43 AM

I haven't used them for both the top and the back, but when I was doing applique with batiks, I was warned it was difficult to needle because it is so tightly woven. I only had to experiment with 2 or 3 needles before I found one I was happy with. If you are going to do a whole quilt, you might even find your needles dulling faster than you would think.
Good luck!

Hinterland 01-01-2011 09:44 AM

I have no problem hand quilting batiks when I use them in my quilt top. In fact, I love how they show the hand quilting stitches.

However, I volunteered to hand quilt a top for a friend. She pieced the backing, and used batiks in some spots. I used a cotton batting, and the parts where she has the batiks on the back are much harder to quilt.

I'd put a different backing on the quilt, and quilt away.

Borntohandquilt 01-01-2011 10:23 AM

To be honest: I don't like to quilt batiks because they are quite hard to needle, especially with top and backing. No question, they look beautiful and the the stitching looks great! Maybe be hands are not strong enough to handle them for a longer time.
I would second Amma's suggestion: a little practice sandwich will show how it works for you.

Hinterland 01-01-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
To be honest: I don't like to quilt batiks because they are quite hard to needle, especially with top and backing.

I've had more trouble handquilting some colors of Kona cotton solids than batiks.

One thing you can do to make it easier to needle is to lessen the tension in the hoop, and quilt on the bias - the stretch makes it easier to stitch.

I use plain muslin on the back of my quilts because it gives the back a wholecloth effect. Plus, the muslin doesn't add too much bulk.

loopywren 01-01-2011 12:26 PM

I have tried a number of times to hand quilt batiks and have always given up, the weave is just too close making it very hard on the hands, not a pleasure at all.

Laura3 01-01-2011 01:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice...I really want a relaxing hand quilting project for the long cold months of January and February. If it is going to be frustrating I don't want to do it. I will make a practice and see how I feel about it. It is easy to change up now as nothing has been done about the backing. I can also change up and dig out a lost lonely unfinished quilt top that could use some hand quilting.

Thanks again...

Laura3 01-03-2011 04:10 AM

Well I tried the practice sandwich with batiks on both sides and it was not fun. It would go along fine and then it would be very difficult. So, I am off to the fabric shop to get new backing fabric. Thanks again and hopefully I will get this quilt done this winter and I will post a picture..