Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-batting-t192229.html)

Helen20906 06-19-2012 02:54 PM

Hand Quilting Batting

I've been a Warm and Natural user for all my machine quilted projects. Now I'm about to hand quilt a Grandmother's Flower Garden. Which batting would you recommend for hand sewing? Thanks for your help.

Hinterland 06-19-2012 03:10 PM

If you want to continue with cotton, I would recommend Quilters Dream in the lightest weight, or Hobbs 80/20. I like Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon, too. If you want to try polyester, then Mountain Mist would be good, and Hobbs Polydown - it's a bit puffier, which is nice. Wool is also very nice.

Janet

ckcowl 06-19-2012 03:16 PM

quilters Dream- any of them are nice- i especially like the dream wool! or a hobbs heirloom batting- you want one that does not have a scrim (like warm & natural has) scrims make hand quilting much more difficult- if the batting package says recommended quilting distance 2"-4" it is a good candidate for hand quilting- if it says quilting up to 10" apart it has a scrim and is not such a good choice.

Lori S 06-19-2012 04:35 PM

Cream Rose or Cream White ( mountain mist products ) battings are wonderful for handquilting, no poly scrim , 100 percent cotton!

LivelyLady 06-19-2012 05:40 PM

I agree with all of the above comments. Warm & Natural does not needle easily.

QuiltMania 06-19-2012 06:54 PM

I use Warm and Natural for hand quilting. Never had a problem.

21quilter 06-19-2012 07:06 PM

Quilter's Dream Batting either in the request or select loft. Both needles very easily! :)

teddysmom 06-20-2012 02:48 AM

I've been using Hobbs 80/20 but my sister recently tried the Quilters Dream and she loves it. She says the needles slides through with no effort. I'm going to use it on my next quilt.

117becca 06-20-2012 03:01 AM

Having quilted more than my fair share of GFG - and around each and every hexagon - which is how they should be done ;-).....I would highly recommend the Quilters Dream Cotton in the Select weight - the light weight. Your needle does slide thru like soft butter and when you think about all the seams you also have to quilt thru, the lighter weight cotton batting will be nice.

I had always used the Warm & Natural was very satisfied w/ it - til I used the Dream Cotton. It's like you don't realize how bad the ride in your old car is until you ride in a brand new car......

There will be times that I use the W&N, but I'm pretty much a Dream Cotton gal now!!

KR 06-20-2012 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca (Post 5302306)
.....I would highly recommend the Quilters Dream Cotton in the Select weight - the light weight. Your needle does slide thru like soft butter and when you think about all the seams you also have to quilt thru, the lighter weight cotton batting will be nice.

I had always used the Warm & Natural was very satisfied w/ it - til I used the Dream Cotton. It's like you don't realize how bad the ride in your old car is until you ride in a brand new car......

There will be times that I use the W&N, but I'm pretty much a Dream Cotton gal now!!

AMEN TO THAT!!! And here's a tip from one of my guild buddies.....take your finished top, batting and backing to a long-armer and have her baste your sandwich. Much easier and less time consuming than sandwiching it yourself!