Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting With Hoop (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-hoop-t187719.html)

Themisnike 04-30-2012 01:51 PM

Hand Quilting With Hoop

Hi, y'all! I'm new to quilting, and am completely self-taught. I'm attempting my first hand-quilted quilt. I can't seem to get used to the large hoops. My question is- if you've basted well, why do you need the hoop? Thanks!

Hinterland 04-30-2012 02:13 PM

Actually, you don't need a hoop. I find it helps, but lots of other quilters don't care for it.

It's easier to quilt if you don't pull the quilt tight in the hoop. If that doesn't help, feel free to take the quilt out and hand quilt without it. I guarantee the quilt police will not show up at your door.

Janet

Themisnike 04-30-2012 02:31 PM

Thank you do much, Janet! I wanted to ask the experts before I found out something the hard way!

Hinterland 04-30-2012 03:20 PM

To be honest, for me it's harder to quilt without the hoop. But there are many quilters here who don't use a hoop, and there are many "famous" quilters who don't, either. The important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing and get the results you want. When the quilt is done and bound, no one will be able to tell whether you used a hoop or not.

Janet

Val in IN 04-30-2012 07:18 PM

I've never been able to get used to using a hoop or frame. I baste well and quilt without. It's all in what's comfortable for YOU. I congratulate you for going for it. Happy Quilting!!

Pat625 04-30-2012 07:28 PM

I use a PVC frame, but loosen it up a little to be able to maneuver the needle

Themisnike 04-30-2012 09:08 PM

I'm so glad to know I can do without! Oh, I'm just THRILLED to find this forum and be able to ask you experts for your opinions! So, here is another question- after a day of practice, I'm consistently getting 8-10 stitches per inch (I know- nothing to write home about, but I'm really happy!), but over appliqué areas (needle-turned) and bulky seam allowance areas, it's more like 5-6. Any suggestions (short of avoidance of the areas)?

QuiltingCrazie 04-30-2012 09:45 PM

Consistancy with stitch length is more important than how many stitches you get. it's hard to catch the back on bulky seams unless you stap stitch one by one. 8-10 i say great job I got three or four when I first started! For small projects or details I use a hoop just to control the fabric. I always start quilts layed out on a table and after basteing I quilt with no frame on the table. i have tried just sitting on the couch and quilting and I personally have less control and don't catch wrinkles as well as when it's layed flat. I still have to adjust ins at times when the back is deciding it wants to wrinkle. I may get one or two wrinkles during a quilt that I have to readjust pins. Just make sure your always feeling the back and you'll be fine. It's all in what works for you best!! Happy Quilting

Themisnike 04-30-2012 10:07 PM

Thanks, Rachel! By the way, I'm jealous that you are in Germany! My dream is to visit one day!!

teddysmom 05-01-2012 02:51 AM

I also quilt without a hoop or frame. I found them both awkward and I wasn't enjoying the process. However, I do have a PVC frame from JoAnn's. I secure three sides and leave the side next to me free from the frame. Then, I have most of the area in my lap. It works because I pin, pin, pin to secure the backing. As I go along, I adjust the tightness as needed. Just do whatever you need to do to enjoy the process. Anything stressful takes away from the enjoyment.