Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting - Lighting Choice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-lighting-choice-t53981.html)

weezie 07-11-2010 03:32 PM

I am recently having a lot of trouble with glare coming off my needle when I hand quilt. I like to sit & sew on the bed (leaning up against the headboard) in my sewing room and I have a large table lamp (with 3-way bulb) next to the bed. I'm curious to know what kind of lighting you ladies use when you hand stitch for any length of time and if you had/have problems with glare. I need a lot of light so I use the 150-watt option of the 3-way bulb and it shines out of the bottom of the lampshade down onto my work. I know there's got to be something better, where I can still see well, but without the glare.

renee765 07-11-2010 03:43 PM

I really like my Ott light. While it isn't bright, it does have a more natural light to it and doesn't seem to create glare.

I read in Heloise's Hints yesterday that the wattage listed for light bulbs indicates how much power that bulb requires, not how bright it is. So a 40 watt bulb takes only 40 watts to light it, and a 150 watt bulb takes 150 watts to light it. She wrote that the amount of wattage is not an indicator of brightness. This doesn't sound right to me.

Lori L 07-11-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
I am recently having a lot of trouble with glare coming off my needle when I hand quilt. I like to sit & sew on the bed (leaning up against the headboard) in my sewing room and I have a large table lamp (with 3-way bulb) next to the bed. I'm curious to know what kind of lighting you ladies use when you hand stitch for any length of time and if you had/have problems with glare. I need a lot of light so I use the 150-watt option of the 3-way bulb and it shines out of the bottom of the lampshade down onto my work. I know there's got to be something better, where I can still see well, but without the glare.

I have an Ott light and I love, love, love it! When I first started using it, I couldn't believe the clarity of colors and the reduction in eye strain. I bought it using a 50% off coupon at Joann's, otherwise I never could have afforded it.

maryb119 07-11-2010 03:53 PM

I use my Ott Lite. It really helps.

Shiloh 07-11-2010 03:58 PM

I have 2 Ott lights. One is a floor lamp and the other is a table lamp that opens up and lights up when it opens. It is more portable. I really like them and they give great light. I have had the floor lamp for at least 6-7 years and it still has the same bulb in it. I got mine at JoAnnes for 50% off, as well.

Dee 07-11-2010 04:58 PM

I too have old eyes and the ott light are great. Could never sew without them.

Bottle Blonde 07-11-2010 05:29 PM

I'm also a fan of the Ott lights. I have two --- and sometimes I use them both at the same time! One on each side of my recliner ... I need the Ott lights and my cheater magnifying glasses to sew by hand for a long time. My hands will get tired long before my eyes do.

aorlflood 07-11-2010 05:52 PM

I am an Ott lite user also. Couldn't get by without it!

mamaw 07-11-2010 06:02 PM

I have an OTT light that I really like...even bring it in the camper with me. It is the 13W task light; folds down and has a great little handle to carry it if need be.

lovequilts 07-11-2010 06:52 PM

2 Ott lites in this house. :-)