Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quilting needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-needles-t163134.html)

sonisew 10-25-2011 10:27 AM

Is there a certain kind of needle I would need to purchase to hand quilt?

Connie in CO 10-25-2011 10:39 AM

Not the side threading one's for sure.Connie in CO

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
Not the side threading one's for sure.Connie in CO

yes, i was very disappointed with those.

QuiltingCrazie 10-25-2011 11:06 AM

I'm on my third hand quilting project and thru trail n error I found the size 10 quilting betweens works best for me. More importantly get a good thimble your comfortable with cause ouch!!! Hope that helps

Kristin in ME 10-25-2011 11:12 AM

Yes, you want quilting betweens. The smaller the needle, the smaller the stitches you can make, but if you're just starting out you might feel more comfortable with a longer needle until you get the hang of things a bit.

ckcowl 10-25-2011 12:00 PM

different people find different needles work best for them- i use milners or straw needles (i like long needles) or a sharp= traditional hand quilters who have been at it a long time tend to use betweens (which are very very short)
choose a size appropriate for the thread you are using- and the needle that is comfortable for you to work with. i know a wonderful hand quilter who uses applique needles- it's all a personal choice- i wouldn't buy a package of 50 of one needle just to find out you simply can not work with that needle.

people do comment on how tiny my stitches are- and i always use long needles- they are what works for me

Ellen 10-25-2011 12:30 PM

I use English 10 betweens. Tried others and they just don't cut it for me. I also wouldn't be without my trusty thimble with the concave end. I can either push the needle with the side or end of it. It doesn't have to be expensive, mine sure isn't.

susie-susie-susie 10-25-2011 12:44 PM

I agree with the others who posted here. The betweens are recommended. I still have trouble getting the stitches small enough, and even enough. I also have trouble getting the stitches on the back even. I know I have to keep up with practicing, but there isn't enough time. So many projects and so little time.
Sue

sonisew 10-26-2011 03:44 AM

Thanks for all of your advice. I will give a few different needles a try and see how it works out.

NJ Quilter 10-26-2011 04:04 AM

The only thing I would add to what others have said is that all manufacturers of the same size/type needle are not the same. If you find you can't use one needle type made by one manufacturer - try the same type/size needle in a different brand. It does make a difference. And it's a personal preference. My personal preference is Roxanne's but that's just me. And your preference may change over time as well. Don't be afraid to continue to try different types/sizes/brands as you go along.