Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ??? HAND quilting ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t177746.html)

grammy Dwynn 02-01-2012 07:13 AM

??? HAND quilting ???

I have been considering doing more hand quilting. I have only done 'Big Stitch' on my lap hoop.

My questions, can I do my quilts just using my hoops. I have a 14" lap hoop and a larger stand hoop (collecting dust). I do not have the space for a frame. Is there pros or cons using hoops?

Thank you in advance

Holice 02-01-2012 07:17 AM

yes you can use your hoops. Just have to baste more carefully.

feline fanatic 02-01-2012 07:43 AM

Of course you can do large quilts using only a hoop. I have only hand quilted in a lap hoop. I have never hand quilted on a frame. I love using a lap hoop because you can turn it any which way you like so you are quilting in a direction that is comfortable for you. I have basted for a lap hoop with safety pins and I have done it with stitches and it has worked equally well both ways for me.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 02-01-2012 07:49 AM

I'm working on a double size quilt. I found the floor hoop works well for the middle parts. For the outside parts that are easier to get to I'm using my lap hoop.

ckcowl 02-01-2012 07:58 AM

lots of quilters do not have large frames- or the space for them-and have always used a hoop- just baste well- and more the hoop around as you go- been done that way forever :)
back in the (olden days) one person might have had a frame- and many quilters would get together to use it (quilting bees) working together to get quilts quilted- but when they were working on their own they were using hoops and their lap.

AshleyR 02-01-2012 08:00 AM

The only con I know of with a hoop vs. floor frame is that you have to move it more often because you're working in a smaller space. But there are tons more pros! You can travel with it and quilt when you're out and about, you're not stuck in one spot in the house, you can rotate it in your lap and it's more comfortable, you can sit on any chair and quilt (or sofa, for that matter!), and the best part, IMO.... you get to be under the quilt while you are working on it.

Oh, one more con: it's a lot hotter to quilt in a hoop than a floor frame. So I plan on using floor frame in the summer!

Borntohandquilt 02-01-2012 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I do all my quilts in a 18" hoop on a floor stand and it's just perfect for me. I can turn the quilt in the direction that is comfortable for me, I have enough space for it and it's very easy to remove one quilt and to put in another - just in case you have several quilts in progress! :)

Here is my quilting place near the window:

Val in IN 02-01-2012 12:28 PM

I'm the oddball here. I handquilt without using a frame OR a hoop. I DO baste very well before I start my quilting. I just can't get used to using a frame or hoop.

NJ Quilter 02-01-2012 12:33 PM

I usually use a hoop but have been known to not use one as well. I've done king-size quilts in my lap hoop. Far more comfortable for me.

AliKat 02-01-2012 12:43 PM

I figure if some very talented hand quilters don't use any hoops or frames ... whatever you use is fine as long as you baste and don't pull too tight on the fabric.

ali