Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t73261.html)

julie777 10-30-2010 01:24 PM

im not that familiar with this im old fashioned the way my mom taught me to hand tie together all over the quilt with yarn. for hand quilting do you draw a design on and hand stitch the pattern? And what do you use to hold the quilt together (a large hoop?)

gale 10-30-2010 01:29 PM

The only hand quilting I've done is echo quilting-where you quilt a little ways away from a seam or applique shape. If I was doing anything else I would draw it on somehow. I use a hoop but some can do it without. My hoop is the PVC looking kind but you have to be very careful about the sharp edges on the clips. I've gotten a tear before.

vjengels 10-30-2010 01:31 PM

I do a fair amount of handquilting, I like to draw the design , hand baste , and no hoop; I don't mind if there's a wrinkle in my quilts

julie777 10-30-2010 01:39 PM

so do you use a large needle to hand baste

gale 10-30-2010 01:44 PM

For hand basting I probably would-I rarely hand baste. For hand quilting I use a smaller one. Not like the pros do but smaller than your average sewing needle.

vjengels 10-30-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by julie777
so do you use a large needle to hand baste

I use a regular needle and what ever inexpensive thread I have hanging around, I found a great tutorial on youtube( Sharon Chambers(?))if you search for hand basting you'll bump into it. The first time I thought it would be great to use water soluable thread... it's pretty slippery...Good luck!

sharon b 10-30-2010 01:51 PM

I baste with pins- put in a wooden hoop 16 or 18 inches and use a between needle :thumbup: Depending on what I am trying to do sometimes I draw the design on - others just eye ball it

julie777 10-30-2010 02:39 PM

where do i get designs from? a craft store? and what kind of pencil should i use?

gale 10-30-2010 02:41 PM

You can buy a book or stencils with designs, or you can google search for free designs online. Or you can make your own.

loopywren 10-30-2010 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by julie777
im not that familiar with this im old fashioned the way my mom taught me to hand tie together all over the quilt with yarn. for hand quilting do you draw a design on and hand stitch the pattern? And what do you use to hold the quilt together (a large hoop?)

I hand sew and hand quilt, I mainly follow the patchwork design when i quilt, though I have drawn on the fabric with water dissolving pen, check it first with a spare piece of fabric to make sure it comes off, I do not normally starch if I am hand quilting I find it more difficult to sew. I don't use a frame at all for quilting but hand hold, otherwise use whatever frame is most comfortable for you.. there are no rules, do what suits you best. Good luck.