Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-t92697.html)

Hinterland 01-22-2011 06:07 AM

There are still lots of hand quilters around - there are many on this board, in fact.

I prefer to hand quilt because it relieves stress for me. I plug myself into an iPod and listen to books, so I really don't care how long it takes me.

There are a few quilts that I've machined quilted. I enjoyed doing that too, but hand quilting is more peaceful for me.

jbud2 01-22-2011 06:08 AM

I am hand quilting a 54 x 54 throw now. It is a wedding gift, and my hand quilting is better than my machine quilting. I find it very relaxing, plus when I am hand quilting, I don't eat junk food while I'm doing it.

ptquilts 01-22-2011 06:12 AM

and it keeps you warm while you are under it and quilting!!

S D G 01-22-2011 06:18 AM

My DM only hand quilts, myself I do both. I have found that when hand quilting by the time I am done I hate the quilt.I am truly tired of looking at it. Then I wash it and air dry it. Then I love it again. My mother is the same way.

Sing 01-22-2011 06:23 AM

I hand piece and hand quilt. I would MQ, but it's hard to find time to sit at the machine. My son is autistic and has lots of therapy, so I have a lot of time every afternoon to sit and twiddle my thumbs. HQ turns out to be faster.

Deb watkins 01-22-2011 06:40 AM

I am attempting handquilting for the first time - a Hawaiian needleturn pillow - 18 x 18. I have tried using hoops, different sizes, and just can't get the comfortable with that. Little sections at a time, and it is getting better! I have been working on this for a some time, but agree that it IS relaxing. I know that I would never attempt even a lap quilt!

Hinterland 01-22-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I have tried using hoops, different sizes, and just can't get the comfortable with that.

If you baste really well, you don't have to use a hoop or frame. It's more important to be comfortable.

no1jan 01-22-2011 06:45 AM

I have only been quilting about a year and just started hand-quilting.

I love the look and I love the relaxation it brings me.

I am currently working on a needleturned applique heart table topper with the quilted designs going around the borders.

I love the way it is turning out, even though it isn't perfect!

pkary 01-22-2011 06:51 AM

OMG! I had just finished typing a "new" topic about this same thing! I sent it off and almost immediately saw that you had written about the same topic! Makes me very happy to see that there are others like me. Just wish the magazine editors would put more articles in their issues that address this form of the art!

susie-susie-susie 01-22-2011 06:51 AM

My DS asked me to make him a quilt (made quilts for both of his kids for Christmas) and he wants me to hand quilt it. He says that is the only way to make a "real" quilt. The jury is still out on that one. I don't know if I want to spent that much time on it. I probably will since he usually gets his way with me. You might say he is a little spoiled even though his is married with children. lol
Sue