Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-thread-t212658.html)

teddysmom 02-01-2013 09:17 AM

Hand Quilting Thread

I hand piece and hand quilt using YLI thread for hand quilters. I have an Amish quilt that I bought several years ago (hand quilted). The thread looks much thicker than what I'm using. Is that true or is it just my imagination.

kathy 02-01-2013 09:28 AM

The hand quilting thred I buy at Hancock's seems pretty heavy and stiff, not sure what the YLI is like.

feline fanatic 02-01-2013 10:09 AM

It is entirely possible your Amish quilt used heavier thread for quilting. For handquilting I prefer a 30wt which is pretty heavy.

teddysmom 02-01-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5830090)
It is entirely possible your Amish quilt used heavier thread for quilting. For handquilting I prefer a 30wt which is pretty heavy.

What brand do you use and where do you buy it?

feline fanatic 02-01-2013 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom (Post 5830307)
What brand do you use and where do you buy it?

Valdani thread. I just double checked, actually it is a 35 wt. My LQS sold it to me. But you can buy it on line or a shop near you may also carry it. YLI is also a wonderful thread. Their hand quilting cotton is a 40 wt which isn't too much lighter than the Valdani.

Traditional Quilter 02-02-2013 07:12 PM

I use YLI and love it. The only negative I've found is the lack of colors. I'm not familiar with Valdani thread. I'll have to check that out. I also use YLI Select for hand sewing.

Pat625 02-02-2013 07:38 PM

I have tried a million different threads, and some were quite expensive..I always end up back to Americana, which is usually only 99 cent in Joannes!! It doesn't seem thicker, but for me it is muchn stronger

lindadee 02-03-2013 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom (Post 5830001)
I hand piece and hand quilt using YLI thread for hand quilters. I have an Amish quilt that I bought several years ago (hand quilted). The thread looks much thicker than what I'm using. Is that true or is it just my imagination.

I use different weight threads for hand piecing and hand quilting. For hand quilting I use the glazed cotton Coats and Clark hand quilting thread or YLI hand quilting thread. I find these threads too thick for hand piecing, though. For that I use Aurifil 50 wt cotton. Is the Amish quilt your bought an antique or was it made recently?

teddysmom 02-03-2013 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by lindadee (Post 5834997)
I use different weight threads for hand piecing and hand quilting. For hand quilting I use the glazed cotton Coats and Clark hand quilting thread or YLI hand quilting thread. I find these threads too thick for hand piecing, though. For that I use Aurifil 50 wt cotton. Is the Amish quilt your bought an antique or was it made recently?

We bought it several years ago when we were in Holmes County OH from some Amish ladies who were selling them out of their homes.

Teeler 02-03-2013 12:21 PM

Newbie hijacking your thread...
I just wanted to pop in here and say you hand quilters are just amazing. You obviously have the patience of saints, and I bet it spills over into your non-quilting life, too. So here's raising a glass to all you hand-quilters from someone who doesn't have the patience or the discipline to do it. Just wanted to let you know that I think it's pretty awesome what you do (my MIL also quilts by hand).

Cheers!