Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting through seam allowance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-through-seam-allowance-t83128.html)

Borntohandquilt 12-16-2010 06:05 AM

Janet,
that is the reason why I would never do a Dear Jane... I really like it but there are too much seams...

Hinterland 12-16-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Janet,
that is the reason why I would never do a Dear Jane... I really like it but there are too much seams...

Absolutely! I started one, then gave away the four blocks I finished. It didn't help that I kept losing block pieces when I sneezed. :)

feline fanatic 12-16-2010 08:43 AM

I have done both stab stitch and the back stitch method. Another thing I have done would have the quilt police shreaking in horror.... When crossing exceptionally tough seam allowances I just don't go through all the layers. I just go through the top layer. The "bottom" portion of my stitch is buried in the batting. Because I have always used prints of some sort for the backing the skipped stitches on the back never show unless you got out a magnifying glass and looked for it. I don't feel it harms the integrity or strength of the quilt at all to have a few missed stitches that didn't make it all the way through all 3 layers.

Hinterland 12-16-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Another thing I have done would have the quilt police shreaking in horror.... When crossing exceptionally tough seam allowances I just don't go through all the layers. I just go through the top layer. The "bottom" portion of my stitch is buried in the batting.

Yup, me too. I don't think the quilt police have enough time to compare front and back. I only do it at intersections where I have many layers.

aorlflood 12-16-2010 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland

Another thing I have done would have the quilt police shreaking in horror.... When crossing exceptionally tough seam allowances I just don't go through all the layers. I just go through the top layer. The "bottom" portion of my stitch is buried in the batting.

Yup, me too. I don't think the quilt police have enough time to compare front and back. I only do it at intersections where I have many layers.

That's exactly what I do, too! :)

Borntohandquilt 12-16-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland

I also did it....