Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand vs machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-vs-machine-quilting-t70211.html)

vivientan 10-14-2010 08:17 PM

Is there a need to stick to using either hand or machine quilting for our quilt tops? Can we use both methods for our quilts? Not sure if they would turn out weird. I'm asking this question as I feel that there are certain quilt designs that are challenging to be machine quilted.

wolfkitty 10-14-2010 08:19 PM

It's your quilt - quilt it as you like! Some people do both on a quilt. You may want to do one one way and another the other way.

e4 10-14-2010 08:22 PM

You can use whatever you want. There were at least 2 quilts at the recent AQS show in Des Moines that had both hand and machine quilting in the same quilt. They didn't look weird at all. As for machine or hand only, that's a personal choice. There are people who swear by hand quilting and others who really like the look of machine quilting. Both are "traditional" methods that were used in the latter half of the 1800's and both can make a beautiful quilt.

amma 10-14-2010 08:31 PM

I have seen many who machine SID parts, and used that as the basting to handquilt the rest.
No rules, just whatever floats YOUR boat :D:D:D

vivientan 10-14-2010 08:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. Can we use a variety of contrasting thread colours when quilting? Or more advisable to stick to the primary colour? I'm always confused when it comes to choosing the right colours for my quilt tops.

lab fairy 10-14-2010 08:32 PM

I'm not sure why you would mix the two but what do I know. I've only handquilted and never tried to machine quilt. After I take the time to really baste the quilt sandwich and get it into the frame I'm not taking that sucker out until it is done.

I'm sure there are a lot of better opinions on this than mine. My $0.02 US is that handquilting "drapes" differently than machine quilting so you might want to take that into consideration. There are some battings that are harder to hand quilt than others.

wolfkitty 10-14-2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by vivientan
Thanks for the replies. Can we use a variety of contrasting thread colours when quilting? Or more advisable to stick to the primary colour? I'm always confused when it comes to choosing the right colours for my quilt tops.

Again, it's your quilt! Do whichever you think will look best on your quilt, to give it the look you are going for.

e4 10-14-2010 08:34 PM

Choose what you like! I use a lot of variegated thread, but some people prefer a solid color. A quilt I saw recently by a nationally known quilter had 6 different colors of thread, one color for each section of her quilt (not necessarily matching the fabric colors either) + a metallic thread. It was perfect for this quilt that she plans to enter into Paducah (I think that was the show) next year.

lindyline 10-14-2010 11:51 PM

I used both on my DGD's 1st quilt, but only because I was unable to freemotion, and needed to outline. I liked it so much, that I now use both in most my quilts. So I guess my answer would be do whatever you want. I did.

SuziC 10-15-2010 01:57 AM

That's right. It's your quilt, your design