Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   handed down lace tablecloths (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handed-down-lace-tablecloths-t207738.html)

mimiknoxtaylor 12-07-2012 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5703625)
just a few thoughts on the "old" lace tablecloths...........I have a stash of them, along with hand embroidered tablecloths made for me by an dear now departed aunt, doilies crocheted by my mom, hand embroidered dresser scarves from antique stores, along with pillow cases....not to mention my "silverware" and "good china and crystal".....and as I grow older I am beginning to realize
these "things" will not be treasured by those who have to go thru my stuff......what to do............I still use these things at family gatherings, but will all this be given to "Goodwill", probably so.

Same here. I have decided to use some of the doilys as over skirts for the antibellium skirts for umbrella girl blocks for my 3 granddaughters. They will never appreciate all the hand work my mother, grandmother & great grandmother put into these things. My daughter does a "tiny" bit but really isn't interested & she only has boys.
I also have a beautiful crocheted lace tablecloth my great grandmother made & it's hugh! That will probably end up at the thrift store when I'm gone

Spuddy 12-07-2012 05:35 AM

I have puchased old lace tablecloths, tea dyed them and made pillows out of them. I sew the lace to a plain tea dyed fabric {pillow size} then decoate the lace top with beading, doilies, small flowers, buttons etc. I also do this with old chinelle bedspreads. I have made many of these for gifts. GodBless

DOTTYMO 12-07-2012 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, what a lovely find, did she make it.?
Now my friend who had to make a table cloth all in white did the 10minute block. Then she put lace in differs places. Ie the centre square if you roll the edges back they can cover a small square inside the when you hand or machine round. The final quilt her son said was the best ever made.

DOTTYMO 12-07-2012 06:21 AM

Hi, what a lovely find, did she make it.?
Now my friend who had to make a table cloth all in white did the 10minute block. Then she put lace in differs places. Ie the centre square if you roll the edges back they can cover a small square inside the when you hand or machine round. The final quilt her son said was the best ever made.

homebody323 12-07-2012 06:29 AM

For small stubborn stains, I use a mix of asprin (cheap stuff is fine) and a little water. Dab with q-tip on stain. As long as the stain keeps getting lighter, i keep doing it. air dry. It doesn't take long to dry so plan to do repeat several times and you will be amazed at what it can do.

caramellb 12-07-2012 06:44 AM

I, too, have had great luck using Biz to remove stains and get rid of dyes that bled in the wash. I followed package directions
and actually soaked the items for a whole week. The results were amazing!
Lynne from Michigan

maviskw 12-07-2012 06:56 AM

I found an old dresser runner with a very dark spot in it. I tried to get it out, but it was so long ago that I can't remember exactly what I used. Probably Biz or it might have been bleach. The stain came out completely, and so did the FABRIC. So now I had a runner with a hole in it. Only the circle of fabric where the stain had been was affected, the rest was fine.
So be careful what you use on really old things. And get stains out as soon as you can!

snowbunny 12-07-2012 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Casi (Post 5700838)
Anybody know what I can do with my grandmother's lace tablecloths that I inherited? They have some stains on them, doubt if I can get them out. I hate to pitch them!!!

Most quilt stores have a soaking soluntion for stains on old fabrics, Retro It works great. I used it on 100 yr old
Christening gowns.

Teri D 12-07-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5703625)
just a few thoughts on the "old" lace tablecloths...........I have a stash of them, along with hand embroidered tablecloths made for me by an dear now departed aunt, doilies crocheted by my mom, hand embroidered dresser scarves from antique stores, along with pillow cases....not to mention my "silverware" and "good china and crystal".....and as I grow older I am beginning to realize
these "things" will not be treasured by those who have to go thru my stuff......what to do............I still use these things at family gatherings, but will all this be given to "Goodwill", probably so.

I have the same issue but I don't have ANY family: gorgeous crystal, dishes, silverware, collections of Hummels and Royal Copenhagen and Royal Doulton pieces etc.etc. I assume it will all wind up in a dumpster or on a "3 pieces for 10 cents" table. Young people don't want stuff like this -- they want things that are "disposable" or are cheap enough to be replaced when the "fashions" change. The only good thing is that I won't be around to see what happens........

clhr 12-07-2012 09:12 AM

I have a pattern somewhere that I was going to make that uses lace in a corner of each block then moved around around until you like the pattern you come up with. You could use the lace from one that you cannot get all of the stains out of. This one called for doillies that you cut in half & quarters. I would try to clean them first though.