Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Handquilting question - knots and tying off (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/handquilting-question-knots-tying-off-t98368.html)

Butterflyblue 02-09-2011 07:25 PM

I have been tying a "quilters" or "foolproof knot". When I start, I pop the thread into the batting from the top of the quilt. When the thread gets short, I tie another of the same knots and pop it into the batting, again from the top. I read a tutorial somewhere that I think I got all that from, but I can't remember where, and I also looked at some quilt books I've got lying around, and so it may be a combination of techniques.

I have been sort of doubling up - the first stitch of the next piece of thread I will put over that last stitch, since it is really kind of "half a stitch" anyway, not going to the back. But I'm really not sure what the "right way" is to do the first and last stitches of your piece of thread (and yes, I know there is no ONE "right way", but I want to know what works for you!)

sueisallaboutquilts 02-09-2011 07:34 PM

When I've buried the last thread I start the new one really close to it. Works fine.

quilting memaw 02-09-2011 07:51 PM

That's the way I was taught. When I sat down with some "seasoned" quilters, they waited until they heard the pop of the knot....all smiled and then continued quilting....Guess I did it right...

dkabasketlady 02-09-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
When I've buried the last thread I start the new one really close to it. Works fine.

That's the way I do it too! So far no problems!

Maura 02-09-2011 08:20 PM

When I start the new thread I bring it up a stitch and a half from the last stitch, then back stitch one.

How I finish the thread depends on if it's small and in my lap, medium, or large. But you can just bring the last stitch to the back and leave the tail. Later, you pop the knot in from the back.

feline fanatic 02-10-2011 05:56 AM

Being self taught I am not sure if I am doing it a right way or not but this is what works for me. I do a single knot in my thread. Starting I start from the top, inserting my needle about a 1/4 to 1/2" away from where my quilting line will start and leave enough room for my first stitch to be a back stitch. I pop my knot into the batting just like you and proceed to quilt. At the end I bring my needle to the backing. I then take a tiny back stitch only going through the backing. I then tie another single knot and take another tiny stitch, again only going through the backing but have the needle come out on this back stitch a good distance away and pop my ending knot in. Works well for me and because I use prints for my backs you can never see where I have stopped and started again. This technique would not work with a frame but with a lap hoop it is easy to flip over to see what is going on in the back.

JCquilts 02-10-2011 07:31 AM

In order to have continuous quilting with no breaks at the end/start point, finish the first thread by burying the knot one stitch length from the point where it exits the quilt top. With the new thread, bury the knot about half an inch from the end point of the last stitch coming up in the exact hole the last stitch went into the quilt. Now begin quilting again by inserting the needle back through this same hole, going all the way though the quilt.

Katiequiltsalot 02-10-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by quilting memaw
That's the way I was taught. When I sat down with some "seasoned" quilters, they waited until they heard the pop of the knot....all smiled and then continued quilting....Guess I did it right...

That's the way I was taught too.

Butterflyblue 02-10-2011 07:36 AM

Thank you for the answers! What is a backstitch, exactly?

feline fanatic 02-10-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Thank you for the answers! What is a backstitch, exactly?

Reverse hand stitch. Going backwards one stitch.