Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hard cover, paper back, ebooks or magazine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hard-cover-paper-back-ebooks-magazine-t203092.html)

WilliP 10-13-2012 07:57 AM

WOW, big question. I think the soft cover/paper back work well once you get to a point after magazines that you wish more in detail at 3 or 4 a.m. Let's face it, what quilt class is held at that time for beginners or people trying to perfect techniques? Best magazine for entry level as far as techniques and details probably Fons and Porter or one of the McCalls or BHG special publications. I am a tactile learner so having the hard copy helps rather than beating myself up with a cursor!

crafty pat 10-13-2012 08:03 AM

I buy both soft and hard cover books and take a good many of the magazines. I hate ebooks as I love to set and look at the beautiful pictures when I have the time. I also use the internet a lot.

cowgirlquilter 10-13-2012 08:44 AM

I have a mixture of it all. I am not loyal to any one magazine, but if I see a pattern or article or set of instructions I like, I purchase it.
I now have an iPad but still have a stash of magazines with stuff I like. Also have a few hard cover and some soft cover books. I love it all, I guess!!

Dolphyngyrl 10-13-2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5582194)
I have mostly hard copy: soft cover, hard cover & magazines. I am an Amazon junkie, especially the older used publications you can get for a few dollars, often less than a new magazine. I have an Ipad, but you have to watch what you buy. First of all, you can often get a used one for less money. and second: I have made several One Block Wonders and have her first book. Even tho I found the pattern for the open cubes on line, I decided to buy her 3rd book from the Kindle store. When I got it, I was surprized to find that it was black and white. I couldn't decipher many of the illustrations and finally had to get a hard copy version. The kindle does not have color capabilities, but I had purchased a couple other quilting books from Kindle and they came across in color. I went back and read the info on the OBW book and the other color quilting ebook I purchased and nothing in the description indicated whether the file was B&W or color. A query to Amazon went unanswered.
Oh, I also have binding equipment, so if I find I'm using a book or magazine a lot, I will rebind it with a spiral spine.

You do have to be careful buying used books though because I purchased one and it was missing the actual paper pattern in the back, so just be careful and know what you're buying

franc36 10-13-2012 09:30 AM

Recently, the books I have purchased have been soft cover. I enjoy a couple of quilting magazines; but I get most of my instruction, here, watching YouTube videos, or taking Craftsy quilting classes on my iPad. I do not like to read quilting magazines on my iPad. I've never checked to see if my library has quilting e-books. I'm going to check now.

franc36 10-13-2012 09:36 AM

My library does have quilting e-books. I have reserved two. I'd never have thought to do that without your question. Thanks!

quiltingcandy 10-13-2012 09:46 AM

Most of my books for quilting are soft cover - I like magazine but when I am done with them I confess I remove the quilt pattern i bought the magazine for, out the pages in soft sleeves and put them in a note book. My hard cover books were more than likely given to me. Except 2 Georgia Bonesteel's lap quilting books I believe I found them and could't resist. I do not use the e-books for anything yet. I am still too into the touch and smell of a book.

piepatch 10-13-2012 09:57 AM

I have all of the above, but I prefer a nice, big, soft cover quilting book with multiple patterns, and good, easy to follow cutting and sewing instructions.

Quiltngolfer 10-13-2012 10:06 AM

I prefer the soft cover quilting books. I have some of all types, but my favorite are the big soft cover ones.

sassey 10-13-2012 02:07 PM

I like the hard and soft cover books I do not like quilting books or mags on my kindle fire the screen just isnt big enough to give you a real good view of pattern and directions I subscribed to 2 beading mag on my kindle and hardly ever access them just to hard to get a good idea of what you want