Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-ever-wanted-seriously-reduce-their-stash-t42483.html)

Favorite Fabrics 04-12-2010 05:13 AM

As in... while most of us are still "collecting"... has anyone here ever wanted to do the reverse, and un-collect, or part with their fabrics?

If so, what do you think caused your change of mind?

Pam 04-12-2010 05:17 AM

Nah, I just want to use mine! I have about 6 tops that need to be quilted and about 10 projects in various stages of completion.

Rebecca VLQ 04-12-2010 05:18 AM

Um...yeah. I guess I just have a hankering for more sophisticated fabrics, and when I bought some of my stash, I was in more of the "pretty, dainty, pink" phase. So, I'd better start sewing so I can put it to good use before I absolutely hate some of them. :P

watterstide 04-12-2010 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
Nah, I just want to use mine! I have about 6 tops that need to be quilted and about 10 projects in various stages of completion.

i am right with you Pam..i do use my stash...but would never dream of giving it up,unless it was going to help out another quilter!

shequilts 04-12-2010 05:25 AM

I would love to deplete my stash so I can rationalize buying more. When I buy now, I feel guilty because I have so much at home. (That doesn't stop me, however).
I've opened my stash to my quilting group and selling it for less than half of what I paid for it.

marsye 04-12-2010 05:25 AM

Get outta here! :lol:

dakotamaid 04-12-2010 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
As in... while most of us are still "collecting"... has anyone here ever wanted to do the reverse, and un-collect, or part with their fabrics?

If so, what do you think caused your change of mind?

At one time I was giving away my 80s and early 90s stash as most of them were not colorfast. I had inherited lots from a couple of elderly family members pass away who were avid sewers. I've pretty well only got fabrics from 2000 and up.

amandasgramma 04-12-2010 06:16 AM

Oh, yes, I've wanted to deplete my stash....so I have 2 scrappy quilts started. But, OH, I need a green to go with that, and a blue with that one......so now I have MORE stash than when I started out!!!!

dkabasketlady 04-12-2010 06:31 AM

I've donated some of my stash to charity work and send some to wonderful people on this board. I sometimes wonder why I bought some of the fabrics that I did, but still plan on using them in a quilt. Even though I've given fabric away I don't plan on getting rid only adding more to my stash. My tastes have changed over the years.

dakotamaid 04-12-2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I've donated some of my stash to charity work and send some to wonderful people on this board. I sometimes wonder why I bought some of the fabrics that I did, but still plan on using them in a quilt. Even though I've given fabric away I don't plan on getting rid only adding more to my stash. My tastes have changed over the years.

I think that is true of all of us. In spite of inheriting alot of fabric from family members I do not always like what I get because my tastes have changed alot. I donate alot of fabric to a local ladies group who sew quilts for charity and they are more than happy to get it. So I don't feel like I'm wasting, just passing it on and buying fabric that more suits what I like. I don't carry alot of stash. Mostly fabrics I can't live without and lots of neutrals and backing that I find on sale.