Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone hand pieced a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-hand-pieced-quilt-t58541.html)

JNCT14 08-09-2010 04:10 AM

I am actually taking vacation next week and we are going 'camping' for 4 days (yeah right - a 29 ft trailer does not mean real camping - RVing perhaps?) and I want to bring some handwork with me (I don't want to lug the machine for just 4 days....) - I want to start a Celtic Illusions quilt and since you can do a corner square technique for these, I thought this would be perfect for hand sewing the blocks when I get tired of reading or actually have to talk to someone (hahaha). The question is what type of stitch works best for hand piecing? Is a running stitch strong enough or should I use a backstitch? Also - what kind of thread - quilt thread or regular?

GrammaNan 08-09-2010 04:29 AM

I use 50 wt cotton thread. I do a running stitch and add a back stitch every few stitches. I have only worked with 4" and 5" blocks though so I cannot tell you what would be best for smaller pieces.

gollytwo 08-09-2010 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I am actually taking vacation next week and we are going 'camping' for 4 days (yeah right - a 29 ft trailer does not mean real camping - RVing perhaps?) and I want to bring some handwork with me (I don't want to lug the machine for just 4 days....) - I want to start a Celtic Illusions quilt and since you can do a corner square technique for these, I thought this would be perfect for hand sewing the blocks when I get tired of reading or actually have to talk to someone (hahaha). The question is what type of stitch works best for hand piecing? Is a running stitch strong enough or should I use a backstitch? Also - what kind of thread - quilt thread or regular?

I sometimes hand piece with Aurifil (cotton) or, more likely, with Bottom Line (very very thin poly). You don't need quilting thread to hand piece.
Any good thread 50wt or 60wt would be fine.
I usually begin and end with a knot; some friends begin and end with several back stitches. I just feel safer with small knots.
I do a running stitch and if it's a long piece, a few backstitches too.

Hinterland 08-09-2010 04:31 AM

I've hand pieced two quilts. I do the same as Gramma Nan - 50 weight thread, and a running stitch, with the occasional back stitch.

It's a very pleasant way to sew - and I usually don't have to unsew, like I do when I use the sewing machine. :)

Lacelady 08-09-2010 04:36 AM

I'm on my third, but I do mine the English paper piecing way, with the seam allowances tacked into place over the paper, then two patches are placed right sides together and whip stitched along the very edge.

ckcowl 08-09-2010 05:03 AM

visit Jinny Beyer's web site, she is the queen of hand piecing huge wonderful quilts and she offers great tips and tutorials to help you along the way. i love hand piecing, it is so much more precise than using the machine,and you will be amazed how quickly it can go after you get the hang of it. i make lots of machine peiced quilts each year but am always working on a new hand one...usually get 2 or 3 small ones and one big one done each year, of course that varies depending on just what i'm doing, but i am always working on something (or a dozen somethings :) )

clem55 08-09-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I'm on my third, but I do mine the English paper piecing way, with the seam allowances tacked into place over the paper, then two patches are placed right sides together and whip stitched along the very edge.

Could you possibly do a visual tute on this? I am having a hard time seeing it and the part about whipstitching is confusing to me. If you are whipping over the edge and close to the edge, woudn't the seam allowances be wrong and lead to raveling? See why I need a visual?? I've never done any hand piecing before.

humbird 08-09-2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by clem55

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Could you possibly do a visual tute on this? I am having a hard time seeing it and the part about whipstitching is confusing to me. If you are whipping over the edge and close to the edge, woudn't the seam allowances be wrong and lead to raveling? See why I need a visual?? I've never done any hand piecing before.

http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...r-piecing.html
Clem55. try this tute. its a pretty good one. There are many tutes if you google English Paper Piecing.

amandasgramma 08-09-2010 06:44 AM

I am handpiecing a quilt right now! I took 1 1/2" squares with me on our last camping trip and just started sewing! I never thought of the "weight" of the thread...just using regular sewing thread...after all, if it holds up to the stress of clothing, then it'll withstand the quilt's usage.

JNCT14 08-09-2010 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I am handpiecing a quilt right now! I took 1 1/2" squares with me on our last camping trip and just started sewing! I never thought of the "weight" of the thread...just using regular sewing thread...after all, if it holds up to the stress of clothing, then it'll withstand the quilt's usage.

Thats true - this is starting to sound like fun! I did look up Jinny Beyer and also some other sites that gave out techniques for hand piecing so I am starting to get some ideas!