Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone here at the Quilting Board ever made a One Block Wonder? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-here-quilting-board-ever-made-one-block-wonder-t6885.html)

MissTreated 05-06-2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cathe
It's a Stack 'n Whack, right?

I wonder why she doesn't want you to wash the fabric. Ick.

It was my understanding when I read the book, the reason you don't wash it is to keep the original drape. She describes holding up the fabric, shaking it out and cutting at the repeats. She further goes on to say it will slide better without washing. I'll find the quote in the book and give you her exact words.

M

sewhappy 05-06-2008 12:42 PM

OK heres my 2 cents on the One Block Wonder. I've made numerous Stack n Whacks, they are the same thing as far as the cutting out but I found the
stack n Whack Much easier to put together. Not so many pieces. My one blk
wonder sits in baggies waiting for me to figure it all out. Taking a class is always a big help when taking on something new. :roll:

Kyiav10 05-06-2008 01:00 PM

I think I will try one of these eventually. They sure ar beautiful!! And I have the perfect fabric for it.

THey look wonderful ladies.

Kyia

MissTreated 05-06-2008 04:23 PM

The book says about prewashing,

There is no need to prewash the fabric. This removes the sizing and can distort the fabric. You can begin cutting into your fabric as soon as you get home!"
Further she states about the fabric,

Do not buy fabric from more than one bolt. Sometimes you find the perfect fabric, but there is only a yard or two on the bolt, so you go to the internet or to another store to buy more of the same fabric. This will not work. There is no guarantee that the colors or print of the pattern are exactly the same from bolt to bolt.
M

CRH 05-06-2008 04:56 PM

Fabuchicki: Your arrangement of colors is striking. I'm thinking you aced the hardest part of this design!!!!!

Cordelia 05-06-2008 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is an awsome quilt! I am going to do it. I'm going to buy that book tomorrow and DO IT!

Ruth, thanks for the link. I went there and when I read it, I immediately changed my fabric choice. The fabric I was going to use was too busy.

Makes me think some of the bright Christmas fabrics from last year (and on 40 percent discount) would be a outstanding choice for this project.

A design wall is a must, I see. I don't have one. But, I can lay them all out on the floor and go upstairs and lean over the rail and look down on it.

The thing I can't figure out is how do you sew a bunch of hexagons together?

What about this for a possible choice?

Jaynie 05-07-2008 08:13 AM

Cordelia, I have done a "one block wonder" and have another on the design wall. If you go to "pictures" and go back to April 1st you will see my quilt. It is soooo much fun. I too was a little intimidated at first, but once I got the hang of it, I loved it. It is so much fun to see how each block turns out. It really isn't hard if you just follow the instructions. Good luck.

Jaynie 05-07-2008 08:21 AM

Cordelia, I noticed you ask how to sew hexagons together........well you don't. You must have a design wall. You arrange everything on the design wall then you actually sew the triangles in rows. You just have to be really careful to keep them in the right order as you take them down to sew. (if you don't have a design wall you can hang a cheap blanket or the back side of a vinyl table cloth on the wall, your pieces will cling nicely without pins) I bought two 4X8 sheets of styrofoam insulation ( 1 inch or more thickness) covered them with batting, hinged them with duct tape and they can stand along or befolded up and stored away. I am about to permanately attach mine to the wall but you don't have to.

fabuchicki 05-07-2008 12:19 PM

That fabric will be OK but you will have animal faces cut at odd angles if you don't mind that ...

As for sewing it together, I did the same thing to make a design wall but at that time I didn't have one and simply laid it out on the floor and picked them up as I went along. I actually sewed them together two rows at a time in triangles. (3 pieces on the bottom and one on top and then sewed the 4 piece triangles together) Does that make sense? 2 rows at a time horizontally. You can't make hexagons is my point.

I'd better stop typing before I confuse myself more! :wink:

Cordelia 05-07-2008 06:44 PM

You're right. That animal fabric is also too busy.

I want something that will be black and goldish anyway.