Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone made a quilt out of sweatshirts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-made-quilt-out-sweatshirts-t173881.html)

Prism99 12-31-2011 10:36 AM

Has anyone made a quilt out of sweatshirts?

I have a large stack of dd's discarded sweatshirts and sweatpants here waiting to be taken to Goodwill. Some of the logo's are quite nice, although most are plain. I'm debating between giving them away so others can benefit from wearing the clothing, or trying to make a quilt out of them for my dd.

Sweatshirt fabric is so thick and stretchy, I'm thinking I could probably stabilize it with Misty Fuse (I think fusible nylon tricot would create too much thickness and heaviness). Because the seams would be so bulky, I thought maybe I could overlap seams. I have a serger so that's a possibility too.

I just don't want to start a project like this and end up with a disaster on my hands. (Have had too many of those!!! ;) )

Any comments? Photos of sweatshirt quilts???

maryb119 12-31-2011 11:15 AM

I have never tried to use sweatshirts in a quilt but I don't see why you couldn't. Stabilize them the same way you would a tee shirt before you cut the blocks. I would try one block to see how it worked before I cut up the whole stack of shirts.

peggymunday 12-31-2011 04:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I was given a sweatshirt to use in two tshirt quilts that I was commissioned to make for Christmas. It was from a friend of the two sons who were to be recipients of the quilts. It was suggested at first to divide the pieces and put a little on each, but I couldn't bear to cut it up. (I only had one sweatshirt to deal with, the rest were all regular T-shirts.) I wound up keeping it as it was, turning it into an envelope pillow with a ruffle and creating a poem to add to the occasion. It was nice and thick, but I still used interfacing to keep it's shape. It was a definite hit with the parents, who requested the quilts. The pillow was an added bonus that they all fell in love with. Here's a pic of the pillow, poem and one of the quilts...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]299234[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]299235[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]299241[/ATTACH]

AnitaSt 12-31-2011 05:19 PM

Fantastic work....and great job with the pillow!

MaryMo 12-31-2011 05:33 PM

Great solution to a dilemna! Love the pillow and the quilt.

erstan947 12-31-2011 07:46 PM

Very creative and well done!

lfstamper 12-31-2011 07:49 PM

Very nice job!

SandyinZ4 12-31-2011 07:51 PM

That is a wonderful poem and the pillow is great. What a neat way to add the sweatshirt to the quilt.

CorneliaAnn 01-06-2012 05:57 PM

That is such a wonderful idea; I love the idea of passing it each Christmas :thumbup:

lakekids 01-09-2012 11:33 AM

I have not used a sweatshirt in a quilt but I have used basketball and volleyball jerseys in the same quilt as t-shirts. I do not use stabilizer in my T-shirt quilts.