Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone seen the prices for fabric at Joann's?????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-seen-prices-fabric-joanns-t5554.html)

MelissaK 03-24-2008 10:20 AM

I went to Joann's recently for some holiday fabric and saw that they started at $6.99 a yard going up to $12.99. I remember when you could get fabric for $2 or $3 a yard. Has anyone else run into this price increase? Yes, they do have coupons, but sometimes it still isn't worth it. What do you think?

Steve 03-24-2008 10:39 AM

Yes, but it does depend on the fabric. I don't usually buy holiday fabric, but find Joanne's fairly competitive otherwise. I'd imagine they mark up any holiday or specialty fabric simply because of demand. Grrr...

One store I've started shopping at averages $8.99 a yard. It's beautiful fabric of the highest quality for quilters, but at those prices I think twice about any purchase.

quiltwoman 03-24-2008 12:04 PM

My favorite quilt store sells all the major brands for $7.99-$12/yard and they usually send me 35% off coupons.

Yikes--I usually shop at JoAnns for fat quarters on sale and thread.

I wanted to make the dog a bed from foam--it was $27.99/yard--even with the 40% off coupons from there, I still got one cheaper at Petsmart.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Julie

sewmuch 03-24-2008 01:18 PM

I hope not either, quiltwoman, but I sure notice prices going up in other
areas, food, etc.
I mostly shop Joann's too and use coupons, quilt shops for sales.

mellow yellow 03-24-2008 05:52 PM

Where do you get the coupons for Joanns? I'm going to the US in 3 weeks and will be able to get to a Joanns. I really want to get a bolt of batting and some other bits and bobs.
Thanks,
Imelda

tlrnhi 03-24-2008 05:58 PM

I only shop Joanns online at the moment. I get their online coupons for that.
I have, however, received mailings from them when we were in the states that had coupons.

sewmuch 03-24-2008 06:19 PM

I get their mailer and in our Sunday paper usually there is a 40% off coupon.
Maybe you could check the paper in the town you are going to.

Quilting Aggi 03-25-2008 03:13 AM

can you order online from Joanns?? and do they serve us Canadians!!??

tlrnhi 03-25-2008 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
can you order online from Joanns?? and do they serve us Canadians!!??

I don't know.
I looked on their website and didn't see anything about them shipping to Canada, but they do have a toll free number and you could call them and ask.

Mandy Keating 03-25-2008 03:39 AM

I like going to get fabric at Joann's, but you're right-- it is getting more $$. But it's still cheaper than the quilt store-- I know it's better quality, but sometimes I really cannot rationalize spending $20 on 2 yards of fabric.

And most independent quilt shops dont have sales more than once or twice a year (and then only on smaller cuts (like FQs) or HUGE amounts).

*sigh* :cry: