Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone used Xacto products for quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-used-xacto-products-quilting-t59922.html)

cjomomma 08-17-2010 03:16 PM

I had to go to wm to find DD an Xacto knife for art class. Well apparently they have cutting mats, rotary cutters, blades and a cutter to cut circles. They were cheaper the the quilting supplies. I didn't get any because I wanted to see if anybody has tried their products for quilting.

virtualbernie 08-17-2010 03:38 PM

Didn't know they had rotary cutters. I'm going to have to look for those. I do use the knives as seam rippers though. ;)

ckcowl 08-17-2010 03:47 PM

i've been using xacto tools for years i would be lost without my multi bladed xacto knives. i use them to cut out stensils, and just everything i need to use that sort of tool for. i have not used a regular rotary cutter from them except the circle cutter i have and,,, it cuts circles. i have tried other brands of craft knife's over the years...looking to save a buck, but when i can afford good quality craft tools they are one of the brands i look for.

cjomomma 08-17-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i've been using xacto tools for years i would be lost without my multi bladed xacto knives. i use them to cut out stensils, and just everything i need to use that sort of tool for. i have not used a regular rotary cutter from them except the circle cutter i have and,,, it cuts circles. i have tried other brands of craft knife's over the years...looking to save a buck, but when i can afford good quality craft tools they are one of the brands i look for.

Does the circle cutter cut circles on fabric?

justwannaquilt 08-17-2010 04:00 PM

Where do you find the knife that holds multi blades? I rigged a handle to hold two blades but it doesn't always work the way I think it should. lol.

DebraK 08-17-2010 04:10 PM

I was wondering when they would figure out this market.

littlehud 08-17-2010 08:25 PM

Wow, I need to check these out.

ckcowl 08-18-2010 05:44 AM

yes, the circle cutter is just like an olfa circle cutter and cuts fabric just fine; all of my xacto knife's cut fabric, plastic, paper, batting, what ever i decide i need to cut. my favorite has a knife handle a little bit thicker than an ink pen and about the same length (about 7" long)that you put what ever blade you need into. i bought it in a plastic (box) kit that came with 12 different blades...the blades change kind of like drill bits... they are different sizes and shapes for different cutting requirements. i bought it at Ben Franklin Crafts about 15 years ago. i have picked up some different blades at Joannes, but have not looked to see if they have the xacto craft knife set; mainly because i already have it so i have not looked for another one. the blades are razor sharp and i have only had to replace 2 blades in 15 years.

lisainmo 08-18-2010 05:47 AM

I am going to check this out. LOL Anything to save a buck so I can buy more fabric.

cjomomma 08-18-2010 05:55 AM

yes, the circle cutter is just like an olfa circle cutter and cuts fabric just fine; all of my xacto knife's cut fabric, plastic, paper, batting, what ever i decide i need to cut. my favorite has a knife handle a little bit thicker than an ink pen and about the same length (about 7" long)that you put what ever blade you need into. i bought it in a plastic (box) kit that came with 12 different blades...the blades change kind of like drill bits... they are different sizes and shapes for different cutting requirements. i bought it at Ben Franklin Crafts about 15 years ago. i have picked up some different blades at Joannes, but have not looked to see if they have the xacto craft knife set; mainly because i already have it so i have not looked for another one. the blades are razor sharp and i have only had to replace 2 blades in 15 years.

Thank you for the info. looks like I am gonna have to go back to wm as soon as I have the money. LOL.