Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has quilting made you more or less of a loner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-quilting-made-you-more-less-loner-t103795.html)

DirtyPaw 03-01-2011 07:02 PM

I for one have never had lots of friends, only a handful of trusted people that I trust so I suppose I have always been a loner. At this time it is a good thing we have the internet since the price of gas is going to make it ever more difficult to get out and drive places.

Scakes 03-01-2011 07:07 PM

I think my quilting has made me less of a loner although 99% of my quilting is done alone since my "quilting buddy" passed. But I have lots of internet friends that quilt and we exchange patterns, BOMs, fabrics, ideas, recipes, other craft ideas, secret sister swaps, whatever we can think up to do. I think of my quilting time as "my" time - a time to be alone; relax; create something for me, someone in the family, friends, or a quilt to donate; listen to my movies and/or music. We live a fairly active life - involved in karaoke and music, bicycle riding, motorcycling, hiking, kayaking, line dancing, etc. - so I enjoy my quiet quilty time.

CruisingStef 03-01-2011 08:06 PM

I'm so sorry about the loss of your sister. It's that special link that is lost when such a close part of you is lost.

I have always been a loner, even more now that I quilt. Is it really wrong of me, I don't think so because now I really enjoy myself. Luckily I have the QB to fall back on, and I have met one good friend. Not to mention so many good tips.

Dotsie 03-01-2011 08:34 PM

I have a spiral problem and don't like going places anymore. thanks to internet which opened a new world to me

newbiequilter 03-01-2011 08:57 PM

Being an only child, I am naturally somewhat of a loner; however, since becoming a quilter, I have joined a guild, re-met some old friends and made lots of new friends. I think that quilting can be what you make of it....if you want to be alone you can do that; if you want to be with a group, you can be in a guild or a class.

Mizgoodie 03-01-2011 09:15 PM

I am truly sorry you lost your sister. I have 3 sisters and I don't know what I would do if I lost one.

I have worked out in the public eye for the last 40 years and retired in May of 2010. I love being a "loner". This is all I want to do, even if I don't do it correctly all the time. I'm not as talented as most quilters but my kids and grandkids love my quilts and that is all that really matters.

madamekelly 03-01-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
The best part of my quilting habit, is that when I do get out and about, there is always something to share with others. I don't drive, so I am not as outgoing as I used to be. I enjoy my company too, so I am not a loner, just happy with my life. It is almost what I want it to be. :thumbup:

I also have found all of you. You all bring joy to my world.

Dee 03-01-2011 09:31 PM

I was always a homebody, however worked with people all my life. DH was a OTR driver, so I was home with our son. Then it was with the dog, by the way I talk dog. Then taking care of my mom, deaf, blind and bad heart with full blown Altizmers. At the same time taking care of DH after stroke, I feel I need all the time in the world to enjoy a bit of my retirement and doing what I love. Sorry this is so long. Guess just venting.

grammysharon 03-01-2011 09:38 PM

I finally found some quilting friends so I think I am less of a loner now than (regarding quilting) because no one @ work did any quilting. It's a lot more fun with friends :lol: :thumbup:

rushdoggie 03-01-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Well, after a friend of 17 years just stop having anything to do with me, I refused to be hurt like that ever again, so now I keep my distance.

Aw. I too have had a few bad experiences and have decided I would rather just socialize with my DH and pets and be more of a loner than deal with interpersonal conflict I don't have the disposition for it!

I like to quilt because I can do it by myself and be happy