Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has your Quilted item been Auctioned? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-your-quilted-item-been-auctioned-t104534.html)

AngieS 03-03-2011 09:06 AM

These are some awesome stories!!! :-)

emmah 03-03-2011 09:27 AM

Here is a funny one. My friend had cut odd shaped pieces out of black fabric for a stained glass window project. She was going to toss the scrap pieces. They were kind of v shaped and reminded me of crows that fill our local park trees all winter so I begged them from her and fused them on a backing and free-motion embroidered black tree branches all over the piece. I donated it to an arts fund raising auction, and the next week someone called to ask me to make a duplicate for his wife! (I didn't--no more scraps.)

lindy-2 03-03-2011 09:44 AM

i donated a lap size quilt to a local charity call youth for Christ they try to keep the kids off the streets at night and give the kids a safe place for them to hang out after school lots of these kids dond have a very good home life and the auction is to pay for the rent of the biulding they use and daily operating costs. im hopping to make a bigger quilt this year and hopefully raise more money but dont know what pattern is a populare one that would sell and if i have enuogh fabric. if anyone has any good ideas let me know thanks

Diannia 03-03-2011 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once a year our church has a baked goods auction to raise money for our teens to use for trips throughout the year. Some people make items to go for the auction as well. I saw a picture of a star string the baby quilt on someone's blog and loved it. I wanted to totally use my scrap stash for this quilt and only had 1 week to make it from start to finish. I didn't have time to make the star point blocks completely string so I used white blocks for the foundation and only sewed colored strips on 1/2 of the block for the points. I had some muslin fabric that had a design printed on it and used it for the backing. I bought verigated thread and quilted the design printed on the backing fabric on my DM. I got it finished just in time for the auction. It made $75 and the lady that bought it gave it to a lady at church that was having a baby. It was one of the highest auctioned items that night. Everyone loved the quilt at the baby shower.

Diannia

String Star Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165179[/ATTACH]

leaha 03-03-2011 09:57 AM

I made a wagon tracks quilt for my guilds first raffle and show, we raised $1100. for our guild. It was the seed money to get the guild. going. even though I moved away they have had a show every year sence and now even have 2 shows a year!

jljack 03-03-2011 10:50 AM

One year I made a sea shore themed quilt for an auction to benefit a pediatric hospice. It was about 75x75. Unfortunately, despite the income level of the attendees, it only made $225, which I thought was not much.

Each year my DH and I do a quilt for our car club to raffle off at our car show. The first year we sold about $300 in tickets, the next year they did it differently, so we didn't get a separate count.

This year I think I will do a raffle quilt for the Relay for Life team that my dear friend heads up. She is a breast cancer survivor.

franie 03-03-2011 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently donated to a silent auction a quilt. The benefit was for a lady who has a brain tumor and needs to go to WA State for treatment. No clue what it raised and don't care. I just feel so sorry for her and her dilemma.

thepolyparrot 03-03-2011 02:11 PM

I don't think I could handle an auction. :) I gave a queen/king size Around the World quilt to my church to raffle. (Apparently, quilt raffles have produced a good bit of income for my church in the past.) I bought the top on eBay and put a beautiful Moda fabric on the back and used a lot of feathers and fleur-de-lis and leafy vines in concentric square "rings" around the quilt. The top was nicely made for an eBay quilt and the colors are really beautiful. It's a warm and home-y looking quilt.

The raffle just started so I don't know the outcome - and I don't want to know, actually. If it doesn't make as much money as past quilt raffles, my poor little ego will be bruised and if it makes a lot of money, my poor little ego will puff itself up with pride, so either way, not healthy. :mrgreen:

Jim's Gem 03-03-2011 03:04 PM

I did donate on to Bethany Christian Services, an Adoption agency that my daughter used to work for(about 4 years ago). It was a Thimbleberries twin size quilt. I think it brought in about $460 but I'm not sure. I had almost forgotten about that one.