Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have to ask (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-ask-t155004.html)

athomenow 09-22-2011 12:56 PM

I'm rather new to quilting although I have sewn at the beginner to intermediate level for the kids and grandkids. I have two machines but I need to know what the attraction is for the really old machines. Everyone seems so excited when they get these machines and I just have to know why?? What is it they do that others (newer ones) won't? Thanks for indulging me.

virtualbernie 09-22-2011 12:59 PM

No computer parts to break, can easily be fixed by yourself, sews a straighter line are a few things I can think of off the top of my head.

erstan947 09-22-2011 01:01 PM

The are kind of like a classic car. Love the oldies but goodies. I have 2 old singers. They are simple, all metal, straight stitch. easy to maintain, quiet and I could go on. I also have one new model with bells and whistles but the old singers are my go to machine for most project.
Completely a personal preference!:)

Marcia D 09-22-2011 01:02 PM

Hmmm, interesting!

QuiltnCowgirl 09-22-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The are kind of like a classic car. Love the oldies but goodies. I have 2 old singers. They are simple, all metal, straight stitch. easy to maintain, quiet and I could go on. I also have one new model with bells and whistles but the old singers are my go to machine for most project.
Completely a personal preference!:)

Agreed! :thumbup:

Lacelady 09-22-2011 01:04 PM

And in the case of Featherweights, small, lightweight, and just incredibly CUTE

Mary M 09-22-2011 01:11 PM

I love mine just to look at and they are a part of history when things were made to last, unlike so much of what is made today. I grew up sewing on a black beauty and so there is also the nostalgia {sp?} And yes, I am into the blacks and can be different brands.

fabric_fancy 09-22-2011 01:13 PM

i collect them because i like the art work and the history of the machines.

all my vintage machines work but i never use them.

i prefer new machines with all the technology for my actual piecing and quilting.

Havplenty 09-22-2011 01:16 PM

they sew through just about any fabric unlike the new machines. i was making potholders, 2 pieces of fabric, 2 pieces of batting and 1 layer of insul-brite. i got so many skipped stitches with my brother computerized machine. i wouldn't dare try to sew layers of denim with it. i was a garment sewer now turned quilter so i always wanted a sturdier, workhorse machine.

i personally like the all metal machines because to me they are sturdier plus you cannot beat the classic look of a vintage singer machine. to know that some have been around approximately 100 years and still sewing! oh my!!!!

ckcowl 09-22-2011 01:17 PM

they are little work-horses-
mostly cast iron so nothing to break- very basic- easy to maintain---no visits to the repair shop- you can take care of them yourself- much less to ever go wrong.
they stitch a nice even straight stitch-
mine is a 1956 singer and it is perfect for taking back and forth to classes- to work- to where ever i want- i hate lugging around my big expensive computerized Viking- when something gets banged- or what ever it costs hundreds to take it in- with my little vintage singer i can maintain it- and it never lets me down! as long as i clean it, and oil it- i believe it will last for my granddaughter's to use too- my viking on the other hand- will at some point have to be replaced- because technology keeps advancing and after a while you have to upgrade to keep it going....not so with vintage machines