Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever found fabric and can't remember which quilt it came from? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-found-fabric-cant-remember-quilt-came-t183568.html)

jcrow 03-21-2012 08:04 AM

Have you ever found fabric and can't remember which quilt it came from?

Lately I've been collecting all my pieces of fabric from quilts I have made and putting them all together. Well, most of them I can't even remember what quilt I made from these fabrics. I don't (but should) take pictures of my quilts and I've been quilting since 1992 and have made a lot of quilts so all these fabrics look familiar but I don't even know who I gave the quilts to or what the quilt looked like. Sure wish I would have taken my sister's advice and took pictures of each quilt. Also, I made many more quilts than I thought I had just by the amount of fabric left over from each quilt. Does this happen to you? :eek:

newbee3 03-21-2012 08:08 AM

I keep a journal and add a picture with the actual scraps that I used.

dunster 03-21-2012 08:17 AM

I take pictures of all my quilts and keep them on the computer (with a backup). I keep a spreadsheet listing the quilts. But I've only been quilting a few years, and already I find that I have forgotten about some of the quilts. Even though you didn't start taking pictures or keeping a journal when you started quilting, it's not too late to start now. And you might try to backtrack and get pictures of some that you gave to other people too. Ask them to send you pictures, or take some when you go to visit. It will be fun to get to know those old quilts again!

pacquilter 03-21-2012 08:43 AM

I'm sure I'd never be able to remember it all! I'm not that much of a picture taker, but I have tried to photograph my quilts, and whenever possible, to get a picture of the person I made the quilt for, holding his or her quilt. Being able to look back at these really gives me a feeling of accomplishment and reminds me of people I love. The quilt on your avatar is beautiful and I'm sure they're all so worth documenting...never too late to start!!!

crafty pat 03-21-2012 08:47 AM

I take photos of my quilts and keep them in a album of just quilts I have made. That is the only way I can remember what all I have done.

Handcraftsbyjen 03-21-2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5078939)
I take pictures of all my quilts and keep them on the computer (with a backup). I keep a spreadsheet listing the quilts. But I've only been quilting a few years, and already I find that I have forgotten about some of the quilts. Even though you didn't start taking pictures or keeping a journal when you started quilting, it's not too late to start now. And you might try to backtrack and get pictures of some that you gave to other people too. Ask them to send you pictures, or take some when you go to visit. It will be fun to get to know those old quilts again!

Dunster, you make me feel like such a slacker! You are soooo organized! hehee I thought I was doing good taking photos.

Lori S 03-21-2012 09:03 AM

I have been quilting so long , I don't remember the quilts that some of the fabrics had their orgins. I don't take photos. It bothers some that I never take a photo, but it does not phase me in the least. When I am finished with a quilt , I am really finished with it. For me its all about the next one.

gramajo 03-21-2012 09:09 AM

When I finish a quilt, I take a picture of it to keep in my quilt journal along with who it was made for, why, size, etc. I also take the fabrics and make a strip pieced block. Eventually I will put all the blocks together and have a memory quilt of my quilts for me. ;)

Scraps 03-21-2012 09:31 AM

I take pictures of everything I make and keep them in a 4 X 6 photo album. I can see what "phase" I was into at a particular time!! Would never remember everything without it!

jcrow 03-21-2012 10:04 AM

I like what Lori S said. She made me feel better. gramajo, you have a great idea. I have lots of scraps and I think I will make a quilt with all the scraps. Also, I know who I gave my quilts to, so I could ask them to hold them up and take a picture of them with my quilts. I seem to have a small family of people I give my quilts to, so it would be easy to get a pic of them all. Except my SIL who won't talk to me since my dad died. I have never figured out why. Anyway, that's the only quilt I can't get a pic of. Thanks!!!