Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever packed up your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-packed-up-your-stash-t2712.html)

Carla P 10-12-2007 10:43 AM

I hope this gives everyone a good laugh!!

My DH & I bought our home 16 years ago, soon after we married. Everything we owned fit into the bed of a truck & a small trailer. I swore then I'd never move again, & have lived by that very adamently. Over the years we have managed to grow into that, once pitifully furnished, home quite well, filling it with furniture, children, and 16 years of living. Over the course of time I have managed to accumulate quite a stash of fabric, tools, battings, machines, and frames which have all lived in perfect harmony in my sewing room (which used to be 2 rooms- living room & dining room- but I took the wall down to have one great big room). Earlier in the year, I had to pack up each side of the room (one side at a time) to shift my belongings over to replace the floors. I thought that was way too much like moving and fussed for a month because I couldn't find anything. Well, about a month ago my DH & I got the oportunity to buy a fabulous house we have loved for years, from a friend of ours because he is being transferred to TX by his job. After 2 weeks of talking, my DH finally convinced me to move, which meant ours had to go on the market. This is when the REAL packing it up came in. :shock: :shock: I have never had to truely pack up my stash before, and I can honestly say I WILL NEVER MOVE AGAIN (after this one is finished)!!! :evil: I had no idea I have so many books & magazines on quilting, nor that I would need so many boxes for fabric!!! :oops: When I shifted it all (I thought "all") earlier in the year, I barely scratched the surface!!! :shock: :shock: The closets in that room were so full, when I pulled it all out into the middle of the floor it was waist deep (don't ask me how I got it all in there). :roll: :roll:

So now, all of our stuff is in storage and our home is, once again, minimally furnished.

I post this as a warning to all of you... beware of your stash!! :twisted: You may have to actually pack it up & move it one day!! :shock: :lol: (& then live without it for a while- that's what's killing me!!! :cry: :cry: )

Cathe 10-12-2007 10:47 AM

Many times. I think this is our 24th house. All of my fabric is kept in convenient Rubbermaid totes. The books have to go in boxes, but everything else is ready to move. Even notions and supplies are in totes. Thread and patterns are in Rubbermaid wheeled drawer units.

patricej 10-12-2007 11:17 AM

cathe ... 24 houses????

yoooo got some 'splainin' to do. i can't be the only one who's dying of curiosity :wink:

Cathe 10-12-2007 11:36 AM

LOL - military family, then some wandering post-military. Many of the moves have been local. Lately, we have been staying in one place longer. I think in 1988 we lived in three different houses! (Oh, and one of them was from Germany to Missouri, and I gave birth to our third son that year, too!) Frequently when we moved with the military or across the country, we moved into a house knowing that we would be relocating locally when we got settled into the area and knew where we wanted to live.

pinecone 10-12-2007 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
Many times. I think this is our 24th house.

:shock: http://bestsmileys.com/fainting/1.gif :shock:

I moved before quilting struck. It was bad enough then as I have been sewing 40+ years, however the quilting bug really has sunk in its teeth. :lol: :oops:

piney

quiltmaker101 10-12-2007 11:43 AM

I had to move my stash from California to Florida. I still have the Rubbermaid totes, just in case. You never know if there will be a roof leak or something.

All the fabric is now on shelves where it gets air, but when it is boxed up, I keep the silica gel packs in with the stash so it can't get moldy. The gel packs are the ones that come in new boxes of shoes.

You might want to do this if your stash is sealed in plastic.

Cathe 10-12-2007 11:45 AM

well, you have to take it out and play with it, of course, but the totes are fine for storage. They are not airtight, and I am in and out of the boxes all the time. I would worry more if I kept them in the basement, but mine stay nice and dry in the attic. Besides.... I am talking about maybe 40 big totes.

patricej 10-12-2007 12:02 PM

i just had to move mine from one room to another. bigger shelves. way more space. should've had room to spare. and yet ...

IT DOESN'T FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i ever have to move to another house i'm gonna save myself a lot of time and stress. i'm just takin' the fabs, the machines, and my quilting supplies. ok. a bed. only then, if there's room, will i bring along the unimportant stuff like furniture. LOL

Diamonds 10-12-2007 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cathe
LOL - military family, then some wandering post-military. Many of the moves have been local. Lately, we have been staying in one place longer. I think in 1988 we lived in three different houses! (Oh, and one of them was from Germany to Missouri, and I gave birth to our third son that year, too!) Frequently when we moved with the military or across the country, we moved into a house knowing that we would be relocating locally when we got settled into the area and knew where we wanted to live.

We are a military family too :lol: I am going on 10 times since 98 right now.. Getting ready to face another move soon... I have also learned to keep everything in rubbermaid totes... All organized and ready to use or move :thumbup:

jbsstrawberry 10-12-2007 01:20 PM

I had to move all my stuff from Central Illinois to Indianapolis, then 4 years later move it back. The sad part was, a bunch of my stuff had to be left behind. I still catch myself going to get something I "know" I have just to remember after searching for an hour or so that it got left in Indy. The biggest hurt for me was leaving my custom made bead looms behind. And now I really wish I hadn't left my quilt hoop stand, I had used when I appliqued bead work to various projects, but WOW!! I can't believe how expensive those things have gotten!!