Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever purchased a quilt top from an estate sale? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-purchased-quilt-top-estate-sale-t4110.html)

Diamonds 01-17-2008 08:57 PM

Quite a few times when I have went to an estate or garage sale I see old quilt tops.. They are usually UFO's... In all the time I have only purchased two.. One quilt I purchased because I knew the lady who did it.. She was 92 when she went on to her reward and done the top shortly before leaving us..

Slowly over time I have been hand quilting it.. Doing it just as she would have.. I do it in a hoop instead of my quilting frame... So I only work on it while I watch TV...

Tonight while I worked on it and I realized that the UFO's that I have passed up in all these years should have been bought.. Even though I did not know the quilter before me it would have been a tribute to all.. Maybe I just got sentimental-who knows... I just felt a bit of sadness that there are so many unfinished.....

scrappinmad 01-18-2008 05:41 AM

I am not up on some of the short cut lingo. So at the rist of feeling like an idiot could you tell me what UFO stands for I am assuming it must be something like un finished..... but, have no clue. Sorry :?

Minda 01-18-2008 05:48 AM

UFO - unfinished object
WIP - work in progress

I also had to ask when I first started quilting. :-)

Dancing Needle 01-18-2008 06:04 AM

I found a UFO at Goodwill yesterday while searching through the fabric section. It's a scrappy 3" 4 patch and an interesting collection of fabrics. It will be fun to finish. And, I think it will be a great piece to practice quilting on. Since I don't have an "emotional" attachment to (like tops I've pieced myself) it I won't be quite as afraid to give it a go.

Cheri

vicki reno 01-18-2008 06:30 AM

I live in Raleigh and about 30 miles south of here is a little farming town that has reinvented itself as an antique mecca. A couple of summers ago, when shopping there I ran into an unfinished Grandmothers Flower Garden. I have not done a thing with it yet, but it will definitely be one of my projects when I retire. Of all the quilts I have made, I only hav one of my own, so I think its time to get started on something for myself.

nanabirdmo 01-18-2008 06:39 AM

last summer i bid (ebay) on a bunch of dresden plate blocks from the 1940's. i couldn't believe i won the auction. they were machine pieced and a few were already apliqued onto feedsack blocks with the centers in place. i take them out and look every so often but haven't got up the nerve to work on them yet. they are absolutely beautiful. if i ever do them up i will show pictures.
the seller also included a big zip lock bag of scraps from the same era.
i love ebay :!: :!: :!:

Rebecca Chambley 01-18-2008 08:51 AM

I was given enough maple leaf blocks, to make 2 full size quilts. All of the blocks are hand pieced and sewn. They where made back in the 40's, from flour sacks. I have since sewn them, by machine together, and in the process of hand quilting them. One is in the hoop as we speak. I also bought for 2.00 at a yard sale, a nine patch, that dates back to the 40's. It too has to be quilted. I was also given , quilt patterns that where orginally printed in the newspaper, and some I had never heard of. It took me 2 days to go through these patterns and all of the different blocks and patterns. I now have them organized and put away. This was all given to me last spring. All of this belonged to my DIL' G-mother,,(Mother) Needless to say they are old and where taken care of with love. I felt very honored that she felt I was worthy enough to be given such treasures. I finished a nine patch quilt top she gave me, with matching pillow and gave them to her to say Thank-U for the honor.

mic-pa 01-18-2008 09:00 AM

Hi, I have never purchased an antique quilt top but a lady gave me a Sun bonnet Sue queen size top that was made in the 30's-or 40's an has no idea who did it. Iam in the process of hand quilting it right now. It will be mine. I have always wanted an antique quilt and never found one, even though I looked, that I liked. This is something I can enjoy. Marge

lisae 01-18-2008 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have purchased quite a few vintage quilt tops (usually 1930's or newer). I also purchase vintage material when I have the opportunity to do so. I used to go the flea markets and antique fairs on a regular basis to look for quilt tops and fabric. As prices have gotten more expensive, I've cut down on my purchases. However, when I am traveling I make a point to check out the antique stores.

This is a top I purchased at an antique fair. I think it is from the 40s. I took it apart, re-cut and re-did the blocks as the top didn't lay flat. I hand quilted it and am very pleased!.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6001[/ATTACH]

3incollege 01-18-2008 02:01 PM

Is it true that ,why there are so many quilt tops is bacause they were summer quilts?
A friend of mine just bought 10 tops on e-bay. she is new at long arm
quilting,so she figured she could practice on them.
$11 got her an 1800's quilt top. Not bad.

Donna