Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever (QAYG question) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-qayg-question-t142556.html)

mom-6 08-04-2011 07:44 AM

Has anyone done a QAYG with fleece as batting/backing? How did you do the connecting of one block to another so it looked right?

On each block I'm doing SID on the main elements of the block. Then I've added the sashing to all sides of the first block, and three sides of the next block, done as you would do foundation piecing. I'm ready to join the unsashed side of the second block to the first block.

My question at this point is what do I do about covering this seam? My sashing on the front is 2-1/2" (before stitching, 2" finished). Do I use a strip the same width on the back or a more narrow one? Do I trim the fleece so it lies right on either side of the seam or do I create a hump at the seam? Is there a way to do it so no sashing is required on the back?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

QuiltE 08-04-2011 07:47 AM

No specific answer for you, except when I'm "thinking" something thru and wondering the how to or if it will work, I make a prototype. A mug rug works great as it is not too big, and lets you try what you're thinking might work.

Worse case scenario .... you have a mug rug!! So that's not all that bad, is it?

Ripped on Scotch 08-04-2011 07:59 AM

When I did my QAYG I did a 1" strip to connect the blocks and a 1 1/2" on the front that was doubled. That made it so that the 1/4 seams on either block were just touching each other and the top covered the same width.

Did you look and see if there were any good QAYG tutorials?

amma 08-04-2011 07:59 AM

Since you are quilting the blocks before hand, can you construct a whole row of the blocks and sashings, and then stitch the whole row to the fleece?

I am envisioning a flip and sew... one whole row at a time, instead of a long piece of fabric.
Since the fleece doesn't require quilting, and the strips already are, I think it would work. :D:D:D

gail-r 08-04-2011 08:00 AM

Hum........ I'm thinking that you might start in the middle and do like a log type. The fleece will want to stretch alot, that will make it more difficult but will nice and cozy when it is finished.

mom-6 08-04-2011 03:39 PM

Tell me if you think this will work -

Can I sew in a folded flannel sashing strip when I stitch the two blocks together to cover the seam on the fleece side?

I'm guessing it will have to be hand stitched down if I use this method.

Or -

Can I use a flannel sashing strip a little wider than the front sashing (in order to have a bit more folded under on the side not stitched into the seam) and top stitch like the SID where the sashing on top joins the block itself?

This would seemingly eliminate hand stitching but could potentially require more ripping out and restitching.

Do either of these sound actually workable on a queen sized quilt? BTW I will wash and dry the flannel before cutting.