Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever started a quilt and hated to sew on it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-started-quilt-hated-sew-t23630.html)

BellaBoo 08-02-2009 11:13 AM

I reluctantly agreed to make a memory quilt for a relative from her deceased husband's shirts. I really dislike sewing on this quilt. The shirts are ugly, all drab colors, flimsy fabric and almost worn out. It's sitting right over there making me feel guilty for not getting it sewn. I know I need to get started and not stop until it's done. I'm doing the quilt as you go method to be done when I'm done. Anyone ever have this problem with a quilt you did not want to make but was obligated because you said okay. ? :?

crkathleen 08-02-2009 11:21 AM

yeah, doing it right now. :lol: it's a quilt for my hubby. It's just a utility quilt. I think my problem is the free motioning i'm doing on it, trying to shove a large lap quilt into a small space. It's preventing me from starting other projects I'm dying to do. (like Christmas quilt for my sister)
I did work on it last night and hopefully I will tackle some more of it today.
Good luck and just keep on pushing thru and it will be done before you know it! At least that is what I keep telling myself! :lol:

MadQuilter 08-02-2009 11:23 AM

YES! and it took me forever to get it done. Every time I talked to the intended recipient, I felt guilty and ashamed.

Here's the rub: You agreed to do it - so get on the stick, lady! (OK that was my tough love message - lol) No, seriously, I think you knew that it would not be a fun project before you started. There is nothing you can change about the choice of colors, but you can change your attitude. Think of the love your friend will feel when she gets to hug her husband through your gift. THAT should be enough incentive to keep you going.

Can you make it a little smaller than you first wanted? Just pick out the nicest patterns instead of using every shirt.

I finished mine and felt sooooooo relieved (and good) when it was FINALLY done. YOU CAN TOO!

Lacelady 08-02-2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
YES! and it took me forever to get it done. Every time I talked to the intended recipient, I felt guilty and ashamed.

Here's the rub: You agreed to do it - so get on the stick, lady! (OK that was my tough love message - lol) No, seriously, I think you knew that it would not be a fun project before you started. There is nothing you can change about the choice of colors, but you can change your attitude. Think of the love your friend will feel when she gets to hug her husband through your gift. THAT should be enough incentive to keep you going.

Can you make it a little smaller than you first wanted? Just pick out the nicest patterns instead of using every shirt.

I finished mine and felt sooooooo relieved (and good) when it was FINALLY done. YOU CAN TOO!

Really positive vibes, Martina - good advice, though I do sympathsize with the enormity of the initial problem. I have been known to open my big mouth and wish I hadn't, not so much with quilts, but when I used to make some of my own clothes, and then ended up trying to make some for REALLY fussy and awkward people I was trying to help out at the time. I have since learned to say that I only make for myself. I just don't need any more hassle.

sed823 08-02-2009 11:36 AM

Yes, I have two in my WIP box that I can't muster interest to get back to. They are not promised to anybody, so the only guilt is my own for wasting good fabric and many hours if I never get back to them. I'm sure your project will mean so much to the friend you are making it for. If I start a project I'm not crazy about, I make it smaller--a wall hanging, a throw, a table runner. At least when that's finished, I can move on. Good luck!

BellaBoo 08-02-2009 01:13 PM

Thanks for the motivation. I know the relative will cherish the quilt so I'm going to focus on her instead of the quilt. It will mean so much to her and I keep forgetting that. I promise myself to have it finished this week. I'll post pictures. It's not pretty but it will be done.

Ninnie 08-02-2009 01:31 PM

I call mine UFOs and will never finish them! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some day someone else will find them and say oh , my what was she thinking! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Shemjo 08-02-2009 03:45 PM

You will feel so much lighter when you finish this. Just buckle down and DO IT! Reward youself with a project you REALLY want to do next.! :lol:

QuiltinLee 08-02-2009 04:17 PM

Start one for my niece. Absolutely hated it! It's now hiding in the attic. When I find it again -- trash!!!

Moonpi 08-02-2009 04:50 PM

My ex used to volunteer for projects. It took me a while to learn that some people just don't care whether their quilts are handcrafted or come from Chinese sweatshops. If I have to do one I don't particularly feel good about now, I choose a quick pattern so it finishes fast.

Get some really special chocolate and reward yourself for working on it.