Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever............???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-t131525.html)

Stitchit123 06-18-2011 08:48 PM

Yes but only once It was a quilt of scraps-And I do mean scraps. No cutting-No squaring the pcs were zig-zagged over lapping one another My 8yr old Great-Niece wanted a Squirrely Quilt for camping -picnics and the beach She knows what she wants and its her favorite quilt. We had a ball making it together We didn't 'stuff' it- its just 2 Squirrely tops quilted together I was quite surprised at how pretty it turned out even tho it will never win any ribbons it gave me a much bigger reward Time with my niece :D :D

Jim's Gem 06-18-2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
been able to make an entire quilt...and not one time have to use Mr Jack The Ripper??? I hate the private parties Jack and I have..kinda lonely ya know. ha ha ha

Yes, quite a few have been put together without having to rip out seams.

However, I do have to use it more that I like!!!

Painiacs 06-18-2011 10:18 PM

Yep was a real small quilt!! Lol

ckcowl 06-19-2011 02:07 AM

i was just (griping) yesturday about how ... dull.... my seam ripper has become- must mean it's being used---i don't remember using it so much it could dull it---
but it's ability to still do it's job is slowing down- i'm going to have to retire the dear friend- and find a new one...
anyone else
wear out their seam ripper lately?
i have to say-i've been sewing for 45 years- have gone through seam rippers- for what ever reasons- but don't remember tossing one for being too dull to cut threads--
is it the variety of threads- dulling?
or
the quality of materials used to make the ripper- not hold their edge well?
or
maybe it's just because i have no idea how old this ripper is- it could be 10-15 years old since i bought a new one--actually i think about 6 or 7--
thinking about this i think there may be a couple in my old sewing box from back in the 70's- i will have to pull one out & see how sharp it is...
sorry i'm just rambling along here- seam rippers---such a necessary ---

Hen3rietta 06-19-2011 02:46 AM

Sometimes I think I will get away with it and that is when the powers that be send me a botched seam just to keep me in line. LOL

romanojg 06-19-2011 04:58 AM

As much as I also hate those private parties as well I just wouldn't want Mr Jack to get lonesome to the point that he'd disapear and then when I really needed him I'd go crazy looking for him. I misplace things already so at least if I use them alot it's easier to keep track of them.

mizunogirl 06-19-2011 05:02 AM

No no, it's my "best pal" though with the last infant quilt I am sewing I think I might....(yeah right!)

blueangel 06-19-2011 05:02 AM

My seam ripper is my best friend.

hobbykat1955 06-19-2011 07:21 AM

Yes when I do machine applique and do a faux sqs top.

the casual quilter 06-19-2011 12:08 PM

Never. Some days, I use Jack more than I do my machine.