Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-t173607.html)

Sunnie 12-29-2011 10:01 AM

Have you ever...

purchased fabric for a quilt then found you don't like what you bought. I have reached the point of adding the final border and I absolutely hate the fabric I purchased. I think it detracts from the focal fabric. Luckily when I purchased several of the fabrics in the quilt I got 2 yards of each even though I knew I didn't need that much and one of them works perfectly as a border and my original border fabric will make a great backing. Using the original border fabric is good because it doesn't go with anything in my stash.

With the cost of fabric I am going to be much more careful in the future.

raptureready 12-29-2011 10:08 AM

YES!!! Luckily I go to a quilting retreat with a great group of ladies each month and if we find that we have something we hate we just take it and see who wants it. Okay, so maybe I give away a whole quilt top that I've started and gotten tired of before finishing. Next month someone may have something that I want. We also will sometimes work as a group, finish the quilt and give it to a charitable organization for a raffle. We have one now that's being set together and quilted so that it can be raffled off for Relay for Life.

lindy-2 12-29-2011 10:15 AM

yup sometimes i wonder what was i thinking.

Just Me... 12-29-2011 10:32 AM

There's always time to change it up, if it is just the border fabric. I will use fabrics that I fall out of love with for backings or borders for another quilt. I made my Ohio Star quilt--the whole time thinking I was going to use a particular fabric--after it was all done, the fabric didn't match. Going to use it on the back and already have a new border fabric. Gotta be flexible with these fabrics....they change their mind on you! :)

yngldy 12-29-2011 10:33 AM

That's how I accumulated most of my stash!!!

katier825 12-29-2011 10:45 AM

Yes. I often don't buy border fabric until I'm done with the rest of the quilt. Even if I can't find the same collection, I can usually find something that will blend in well.

sandy l 12-29-2011 10:57 AM

Do it all the time:)

crafty pat 12-29-2011 11:04 AM

I was going through my stash and found fabric I know I will never use and wonder what ever made me think I would ever like it.

cmw0829 12-29-2011 11:14 AM

After going through what you are, I now buy my borders when there is enough of the top completed to see how a fabric will look with it. (My LQS calls this "auditioning.") Most times when I've purchased the border fabric at the start of a project, I've been unhappy with the choice.

Kitsie 12-29-2011 11:27 AM

Yes, and I was always happy when I changed it! The original fabric can be used for something else. Don't blame yourself for your choice, it often looks very different when sewn up!