Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever THROWN AWAY brand new fabric? ON PURPOSE! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-thrown-away-brand-new-fabric-purpose-t166772.html)

just_the_scraps_m'am 11-07-2011 07:06 AM

i know this may sound like a stupid ? but what about the wrong side of the fabric? were there pieces of lint stuck to it as well? i have to agree, just cut it up SMALL!

i've had fabric that remained way too stiff after the 2nd wash & it's still sitting......iguess i'm not willing to give up on it yet!

grammy Dwynn 11-07-2011 07:12 AM

Mine was a little different . . you know how once and awhile the 'sizing' gives the fabric a stiff feeling. And you figure it will 'wash out' NOT! This one was so 'stiff' and I thought it would not feel soft and cozy in a quilt. So I set it aside. Then one day - light-bulb thought. I used it to make a clothesline basket and a thread-catcher. I just could not throw it away. So the bad came out good. ;)

trif 11-07-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by KyKat (Post 4646263)
On the other hand, if it has such an "attractive" quality, I might cut it up into squares, hem it, and use it as dust rags. If it attracts lint, it should attract dust. Like cholla said, waste not.

I like this idea!

texpat45 11-07-2011 07:42 AM

Oh, yes! I have one of those pieces of fabric now...had it for 4 or 5 years...haven't thrown it out...yet....but everytime I see it I'm sorely tempted. It's 6 yds of Kona Black...and I detest the stuff. Brought it home, washed it, dried it and both selvage edges ravelled out the entire 6 yd length. Had to pile the stuff on the bed to fold...it's thick...2-3 times thicker than any 100% cottan fabric I've ever seen and, wrinkled like a dried apple, and has picked up every thread and piece of lint within 3 miles. I've washed 2 or 3 times more - it just keeps wrinkling and picking up lint. Lint rolled it, tried dampening and ironing. It's junk and one of these days I'm gonna toss it.

lavonneve 11-07-2011 07:46 AM

Get rid of it. It most likely will do it again when in your quilt.

#1piecemaker 11-07-2011 07:53 AM

I wouldn't pitch it. Everything has a use. even if it is only a dust rag. sounds like it would make a good one since it seems to attract everything.

just_the_scraps_m'am 11-07-2011 08:03 AM

have you tried washing with a little vinegar in the water?

johanka 11-07-2011 08:13 AM

Anything like that I use in making crochet rugs.

Gramie bj 11-07-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by KyKat (Post 4646020)
I bought several pieces of fabric over the weekend, then like a good little quilter, I brought it straight home and washed it all. I put it in lingere bags to wash it, used a color catcher. All fine. Put it in the dryer. Still good. After it mostly dried, there were still several damp spots in the centers, so I took it out of the lingere bags and put them all back in the dryer loose. I knew there would be some raveling, but it wasn't that bad. All the fabric was the same weight, hand feel, price, all 100% cotton. Bought at the same place. It should have all acted the same through the wash. But, wow! When I took the fabric out of the dryer, there was one piece of hot pink (okay I know hot pink, right? but it was for accent for another piece . . . another story) that picked up EVERY piece of lint, thread, hair, fuzz. There was even a ball of blue thread on it that I swear it sucked from the neighbor's laundry, because there was nothing blue in this load! It was also so wrinkled, I would never be able to iron it smooth. I used a sticky roller on it, but geez, if it does that, do I really want to use it in a quilt? None of the other fabric did that. It was only a one-yard piece, and I'm really thinking of throwing it away while I still remember how bad it actually was so I won't have a quilt made and then have it ruin a whole project. Any thoughts? Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

[/I]

I'd keep it in fact I have a very smal selection of fabric that I call play fabric all of it has some problem, constant bleedsing, sheading, pilling, weight, almost everything, my Grands use it to check settings on machines. kite tails, small crafts that will never be washed, have used for Christmas tree ornaments. one year my oldest grand raided that selection of all my primary colors cut it into 1 inch strips rubbed it untill it started to fra, and used it as ribbon to tie her Christmas packages wrapped in plain brown paper.

crafty pat 11-07-2011 08:16 AM

I could never throw away fabric. I can always find some use for it.