Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   have you FMQ'd a King with your 7700 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-fmqd-king-your-7700-a-t161978.html)

carolaug 10-20-2011 03:11 PM

I am debating on trying to FMQ my King size quilt on my Jamone. It will cost me 98.00 to have the LQS do it which I know they will do an awesome job but I really hate to have to spend that much to quilt it. Has anyone here FMQ'd your King. 108 wide. If so...would you do it again?

QuiltE 10-20-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I am debating on trying to FMQ my King size quilt on my Jamone. It will cost my 98.00 to have the LQS do it which I know they will do an awesome job but I really hate to have to spend that much to quilt it. Has anyone here FMQ'd your King. 108 wide. If so...would you do it again?

WOW ....
Just a little perspective here ... I wish I could get FMQ for such a low price!!!!!!!!

AFQSinc 10-20-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by carolaug
I am debating on trying to FMQ my King size quilt on my Jamone. It will cost my 98.00 to have the LQS do it which I know they will do an awesome job but I really hate to have to spend that much to quilt it. Has anyone here FMQ'd your King. 108 wide. If so...would you do it again?

WOW ....
Just a little perspective here ... I wish I could get FMQ for such a low price!!!!!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly. The first quilt I ever had done by a LAQ was a CRIB size and it cost me $140. It was edge to edge and had loops going around each little picture on the fabric. Honestly, on my 440 (I didn't have it at that time) it would have taken me a few of hours. It probably took her an hour plus set up. And that did not include the binding on one side.

So, if I could get a king size quilted for $98 I would not think twice about paying for it.

ckcowl 10-20-2011 04:16 PM

my first king sized quilt i had quilted by a long-armer cost me $385! yes it is beautiful...but wow- what a deal-
but on to your question=
it can be done on your machine- roll it from one side to center- then the other side to center- and quilt down through the center- start unrolling-working your way out to one side- then turn and start unrolling-quilting the other side=
it is a job- and make sure you have table space to hold the weight. if i were you i would do some practicing on something something besides your quilt first to get the hang of the process of working with the long rolls.

carolaug 10-20-2011 04:26 PM

crib size for 140??...I paid 40 for a twin at the LQS, it was just meandering but they did a wonderful job but...I did not want to pay that much each time I made a quilt so I got the Jamone for christmas last year. I just check with my LQS and they went up this month to $110.00 for a King but they will do the pattern you want. They do a wonderful job...but I still can't see paying that much after I spent that much on the fabric. Oh...and they charge 25.00 to bind the quilt...now that something I may consider.

carolaug 10-20-2011 04:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have done queen size and many twin and lap quilts on the 7700 but never one this big. My husband of course thinks I can do it..he can not see me spending 100.00 on quilting it since it is not my dream quilt. It was for a person that ws going to pay me. Of course I paid for the fabric ahead of time...oh well...and I was only charging what I paid for the fabric. Oh well. Now I am stuck with the quilt.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
my first king sized quilt i had quilted by a long-armer cost me $385! yes it is beautiful...but wow- what a deal-
but on to your question=
it can be done on your machine- roll it from one side to center- then the other side to center- and quilt down through the center- start unrolling-working your way out to one side- then turn and start unrolling-quilting the other side=
it is a job- and make sure you have table space to hold the weight. if i were you i would do some practicing on something something besides your quilt first to get the hang of the process of working with the long rolls.

here is the quilt...its been done for a while waiting to be quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274580[/ATTACH]

Jamiestitcher62 10-20-2011 05:35 PM

I have the 7700 as well and for that cheap a price I'd jump on it. Depending on what you were doing for quilting it would take many many hours to complete it and pulling and pushing the quilt around would drive me nuts.

Send it out.

quilterella 10-21-2011 01:49 AM

I have the Janome 6600, not the 7700(can only dream), but, I have FMQ several kings and queen size quilts on it and she does a marvelous job. Alot of bunching/scrunching pushing/pulling, but it can be done.

carolaug 10-21-2011 01:53 AM

I think I going to give it a shot..I really do not want to pay 100.00 to have it quilted. Just can not see paying that much for a bed quilt that only my husband and I see...and a simple meandering should look fine.

Originally Posted by quilterella
I have the Janome 6600, not the 7700(can only dream), but, I have FMQ several kings and queen size quilts on it and she does a marvelous job. Alot of bunching/scrunching pushing/pulling, but it can be done.