Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you seen Leah Days quilt piecing ebook/ video?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-seen-leah-days-quilt-piecing-ebook-video-t221907.html)

SusanSusan33 05-20-2013 10:51 AM

Have you seen Leah Days quilt piecing ebook/ video??

I was looking at her blog and came across this ebook she sells. http://www.daystyledesigns.com/howto...tm#piecequilts It's a 100 page e-book and 2 hours of video.

I seem to have a hard time keeping seam allowances correct, not sure if it's my cutting, my piecing, my 1/4 foot, me not being quite accurate, not enough practice, etc, etc...

I am enrolled in Leah Day's craftsy class, but it's for free motion so nothing really to help with my issues- LOL!

Any video/ class/ You tube/ book suggestions would be appreciated. I seem to learn best by seeing something done. I can't quite learn from a book as well.

Thanks in advance!
Susan

DOTTYMO 05-20-2013 11:06 AM

I suggest an idea saw at quilt in aday . Mark where fabric should run for a perfect 1/4 sea, and place a set of post it pad in the correctosition and try. This is cheap and cheerful way. Fabric edge should run level with pad and keep perfect edge. There are other ways but I thought this would be quick to try. The other suggestion is to check the screw holding the foot in place. Mine sometimes works loose.

joyce888 05-20-2013 11:33 AM

If you do not have a 1/4" foot with a guide DOTTYMO's suggestion of Post-it pad works great. If the 1/4" foot is an option for your machine it is a very good investment.

EasyPeezy 05-20-2013 02:47 PM

There's a book "Precision Piecing" by Sally Collins. She also has a DVD under the same title.
You can check amazon.com.

hopetoquilt 05-20-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 6075513)
If you do not have a 1/4" foot with a guide DOTTYMO's suggestion of Post-it pad works great. If the 1/4" foot is an option for your machine it is a very good investment.

Love my quarter inch foot with guide. Makes piecing more precise.

SusanSusan33 05-21-2013 03:53 AM

Thanks, ladies! I do have a 1/4 foot (guess it's a good thing- LOL).

I'll try the post it note trick on my next piecing. I'm doing the machine quilting for a twin right now so that will take a little while.

citruscountyquilter 05-22-2013 03:50 AM

Another way to make a guide is to take a roll of blue painters tape and with a sharp knife cut down through the layers a little way. Cut it again about an inch or so away from your first cut. Take the chunk out and line the edge of the painters tape block at 1/4 inch on your machine and stick it on. It makes a "dam" to run your fabric against.

gardnergal970 05-22-2013 04:25 AM

Not all 1/4 inch feet give the quilter's 1/4 inch. To check yours, take 3 strips of fabric 11/2 inches wide and sew them together. The middle strip should measure an exact 1 inch. You might have to adjust where your needle comes down to get what you need. Some quilters do that every time they start for the day and purposely cut the strips to a length they can use in a scrappy quilt

littlebitoheaven 05-22-2013 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 6078622)
Not all 1/4 inch feet give the quilter's 1/4 inch. To check yours, take 3 strips of fabric 11/2 inches wide and sew them together. The middle strip should measure an exact 1 inch. You might have to adjust where your needle comes down to get what you need. Some quilters do that every time they start for the day and purposely cut the strips to a length they can use in a scrappy quilt

This is a great idea. One of those, "Why didn't I think of that!" Thank you for the proverbial 2 x 4 to the head.

tessagin 05-22-2013 07:21 AM

Ditto what DOTTYMO and Joyce888 stated. And just practice with some scraps. If something isn't working right I use scraps to figure it out. I also check out a tutorial in case there's a step I missed.