Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried the fusible batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-fusible-batting-t206737.html)

ckcowl 11-23-2012 09:54 AM

not much new about fusable batting- some people love it- some not so much- buy a small one & give it a try- i find it very handy for some projects---(small ones) but i don't use it for large (queen + ) quilts. i love it for table runners, placemats, totes...wall hangings...

tezell0801 11-23-2012 11:18 AM

So it is only fusible on one side? hummm, I will try it for some placemats I intend to make and see from there.

Tartan 11-23-2012 04:06 PM

If it is Hobbs 80/20 quilt batt, BOTH sides are fusible. I lay my sandwich out on the floor and dry iron the front working from the center out. I flip over the entire sandwich and dry iron the back from the center out. You can peel up the edge and re-iron as needed to make sure the back is wrinkle free. I spend the most time getting the back perfect because that is the side you can't see while machine quilting. I put a few safety pins around the edge so I don't accidentally peel up a corner as I move the quilt around while machine quilting.

ScrappyAZ 11-23-2012 04:16 PM

I used fusible batting on a lap quilt and had difficulty hand quilting with it. Otherwise, it worked fine.

Scraplady 11-23-2012 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5675252)
If it is Hobbs 80/20 quilt batt, BOTH sides are fusible. I lay my sandwich out on the floor and dry iron the front working from the center out. I flip over the entire sandwich and dry iron the back from the center out. You can peel up the edge and re-iron as needed to make sure the back is wrinkle free. I spend the most time getting the back perfect because that is the side you can't see while machine quilting. I put a few safety pins around the edge so I don't accidentally peel up a corner as I move the quilt around while machine quilting.

Used this batting for a long time and LOVED it. Since we pulled up the old carpet I no longer have a good place to do it. I am afraid of the heat damaging my new wood floors. The garage floor is concrete but too dirty. I loved the nice smooth sandwich it made. I also would turn the whole thing over and iron it from the back. Sometimes it would start to loosen here and there while I was quilting a large quilt. I'd just run an iron over the loose spots with and re-adhere it. I tried spray but didn't like it as well. I miss my fusible batting!

LivelyLady 11-23-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5674713)
I tried the fusible batting, and it was pretty good. But I still like basting with Elmer's School glue. I always have the glue and the batting so no need for me to go out and buy something else. But, if you do not like the Elmer's method, I believe the fusible batting is the next best thing.

I, too, love basting with Elmer's School glue. Fusible batting worked ok, but I didn't think it smoothed out as nicely as the glue.

postal packin' mama 11-23-2012 10:16 PM

Does the fusible 80/20 Hobbs batting have any 'pouf' to it once it's been ironed down?

nygal 11-24-2012 01:53 AM

I must have been living in a cave some place...I've never heard of fusible batting!!:eek:

happyquiltmom 11-24-2012 04:04 AM

Used it once, don't like it. It wouldn't stay fused. I use the curved safety pins when machine quilting, thread basting when hand quilting.

QM 11-24-2012 04:14 AM

I used it once. It was great for the wall hanging I was making, but I would not care for the feel of it in a bed/lap quilt.