Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you tried the fusible batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-tried-fusible-batting-t206737.html)

tezell0801 11-23-2012 08:38 AM

Have you tried the fusible batting?

If you have tried the new fusible batting, how did you like it. I am very intrigued- I hate basting with pins or sewing. I have tried spray, it is ok, but I didn't get it quite smooth enough first time around.

I am wanting to try this and would love to hear from anyone who has used it.

abdconsultant 11-23-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by tezell0801 (Post 5674687)
If you have tried the new fusible batting, how did you like it. I am very intrigued- I hate basting with pins or sewing. I have tried spray, it is ok, but I didn't get it quite smooth enough first time around.

I am wanting to try this and would love to hear from anyone who has used it.

I use it all the time for totes, doll quilts, and other small projects. It works well for me. I just haven't used it for large quilts.

Jan in VA 11-23-2012 08:53 AM

Fusible batting has been around for a while. I used Hobbs brand many times in the the 1990s and liked it a lot.

Jan in VA

Tashana 11-23-2012 08:55 AM

I tried the fusible batting, and it was pretty good. But I still like basting with Elmer's School glue. I always have the glue and the batting so no need for me to go out and buy something else. But, if you do not like the Elmer's method, I believe the fusible batting is the next best thing.

Lori S 11-23-2012 08:58 AM

I tried it when I first discovered it way back.. it was not what I had hoped for... I find spray basting to be mmuch more to my liking. As for getting it flat .. I use my iron ( set on just warm ... no steam) to go over the first part of the sandwich get that as flat as I want.. then do the second layer .. and I iron again. Thats what works for me to get it as flat as I can possible get it.

Tartan 11-23-2012 09:06 AM

I LOVE Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt. You do need a large surface to dry iron the sandwich together. I use the old carpet on my basement floor. I have done up to a twin size quilt without a wrinkle in the back.
I recently tried the 505 spray and hung a small lap quilt in the garage to make my sandwich. It did not make as nice a quilting sandwich as the Hobbs fusible, but it still worked without any wrinkles in the back. NOTE: I used the 505 with a puffy polyester batt so that may have made the difference.

quiltjoey 11-23-2012 09:11 AM

Have used both but prefer spray. It's not the best for people with breathing problems and should be used in a well-ventilated area...

alleyoop1 11-23-2012 09:13 AM

You still have to either pin or spray the backing on to it.

gollytwo 11-23-2012 09:15 AM

I've used it for baby and lap quilts; don't think I'd ever use it for anything larger

MimiBug123 11-23-2012 09:53 AM

It's okay but I still prefer Elmer's glue!