Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you turned a quilt top into a duvet cover? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-turned-quilt-top-into-duvet-cover-t202578.html)

Rebecca_S 10-07-2012 01:26 PM

Have you turned a quilt top into a duvet cover?

Has anyone ever turned their quilt top into a duvet cover, how did you like it?
I've been working on a quilt top that is almost completed that I would like to turn into a duvet cover for our wool duvet. My idea was to quilt it to a backing with no batting, like making a summer weight quilt. I have never quilted a top before but thought I could do this on my domestic machine since I should not have to worry about bulk. I want to quilt it to a backing to stabilise it since there are lots of little pieces, so that the duvet does not rub against any piecing seams and the top is several inches larger than our duvet. Then after it is quilted to a backing I can add another layer as an envelope to hold the duvet.
How far apart should I quilt if my pieces are mostly 2-3 inches large and there is no batting? How do you bind your summer quilt type quilts without batting? Has anyone done something similar and how did it turn out? Thanks a lot!

ckcowl 10-07-2012 02:34 PM

if you do a search for quilted duvet's you will find a number of tutorials - there are a couple books/patterns on the market for them too- they were quite popular a few years ago. your ideas sound about right-
as for binding- since you plan to sew it pillowcase style to make the duvet cover you do not have to worry about binding. you can always topstitch around the sides after constructing/turning right side out if you wanted to.
as for quilting- since you are not using batting that requires quilting stitches to be a certain distance apart you can quilt it any way you want that works for you & your design...a little or a lot is a personal choice when batting is not a factor. they are normally quilted to a backing- then constructed into the (pillow case) with a flap to fold over with buttons, zipper, velcro, what ever way you want to finish/close the top. show us pictures when you get yours done- we love looking at new creative projects.

cwessel47 10-07-2012 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made one - and the original request was for a duvet cover. It was machine quilted onto a muslin base. The block size determined the lines of stitching - about 3" apart - but it didn't really need that much. I didn't need to bind it. Used the envelope method with extra fabric in the bottom seam to incorporate a Velcro strip for closing after the duvet was inserted. No complaints yet - and that was a couple years ago.

pinkcastle 10-07-2012 04:11 PM

I've been interested in this topic as well. I'll be watching this thread. cwessel47, your piecing is just beautiful!

Jingle 10-07-2012 06:06 PM

Very pretty.

Stitchnripper 10-08-2012 03:43 AM

What a great idea. Never occurred to me! Duh!!!

Joy.lynn 10-08-2012 06:16 AM

I made a reversible ( used different blocks on each side) duvet cover for my Granddaughter three years ago. Joined three sides and put a zipper at the bottom. I did not quilt it, it did not need it.

Puttergeo 10-08-2012 09:34 AM

pattern?

I love that quilt, cwessell45. Can you tell me where I could find the pattern? Thanks.

Originally Posted by cwessel47 (Post 5569146)
I have made one - and the original request was for a duvet cover. It was machine quilted onto a muslin base. The block size determined the lines of stitching - about 3" apart - but it didn't really need that much. I didn't need to bind it. Used the envelope method with extra fabric in the bottom seam to incorporate a Velcro strip for closing after the duvet was inserted. No complaints yet - and that was a couple years ago.

pattypurple 10-08-2012 11:36 AM

I just finished a king-sized one. Sewed the top to a flat king size sheet. Did some straight line stitching to keep it from shifting. My son wanted something fuzzy on the back so I got really nice non-pilling fleece from WalMart online. Envelope stitched & turned the top/sheet to the fleece. Sewed ribbons to the bottom to tie shut (my friend says that is how they close their's in Norway).

Tink's Mom 10-08-2012 12:59 PM

I did it with flannel to quilt the top. Before I quilted, I stitched them together pillowcase method and then turned and quilted....did the same thing again with the back side for the duvet.